Any reason to buy one AGM over another?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Any reason to buy one AGM over another?

Postby bosleybeebop » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:17 pm

Starting to look at batteries for a 160W solar system. The top two results on amazon are:

125 vmax agm for $250 https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmaxslr125-rechargeable-Solar-Inverters/dp/B00ACNO2AO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476901418&sr=8-2&keywords=agm+battery

100ah Universal agm for $160 https://www.amazon.com/Universal-UB121000-45978-100AH-Cycle-Battery/dp/B00S1RT58C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1476901463&sr=8-3&keywords=agm+battery

One made in USA the other in China. Could almost get 2 for the price of the other, with more aH. In reading through other posts I see that some setup 6V golf cart batteries in series and get a higher aH/$

Do you get what you pay for? better life, faster charging?
bosleybeebop
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Any reason to buy one AGM over another?

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:50 pm

The one states on the side - replace every 3 to 5 years with 1 year warranty, while the other one has 10 year warranty, albeit that is the float charge life. Also weight, two be heavy if you can get by with one you save a lot.... I have my batteries on the tongue and I am keeping a close eye on the total weight and the VMax is less than my two deep cycles and more power, bookmarked for future purchase.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:39 pm

Why buy from Amazon where you you will have to pay freight?

Can't you find a local sporting goods or similar store that sells deep-cycle batteries?

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 pm

I think you should probably forget about the China/U.S.A equation (unless there are other reasons to buy a battery built in the U.S.).

I know Vmaxtanks say they are a "U.S. manufacturing company" (they don't say their products are made in the U.S.) but here's what one poster on Amazon wrote:
"Not made in the U.S. They are made in China. I actually contacted the company. ––By stevesmitty79 on July 6, 2016"

There are very few battery plants in the U.S. Most "branded" batteries are made by some other company and relabelled.

I've had excellent service at Solarblvd buying solar panels. You might take a look at their AGMS. http://www.solarblvd.com/

Wish I could be more helpful. I'll be curious to follow this thread and hear what AGM battery owners say. I'm planning on switching over to a 35 amp/hour AGM this spring.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 pm

I've been using a 60 AH deep-cycle AGM battery from Interstate since I got my trailer in 2011. The first one lasted almost 5 years, but didn't survive two accidental complete discharges. The second one is starting it's second season.

I keep the battery on the PD4045 Converter/charger all the time, and keep the converter plugged into 120VAC 24/7 except when traveling. It's in the cabin and I run a small fan to keep the trailer ventilated to prevent mildew and mold.

OH, I paid about $150 for the 2nd battery.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:02 pm

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bosleybeebop » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:22 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:Why buy from Amazon where you you will have to pay freight?

<Chas>

Free shipping :D

Will keep an eye out for a while since I don't need to make a purchase for another 2 months. The weight is real, may have to rethink my battery placement closer to the axle! Little fearful of an "accidental" draw down on an expense battery.
bosleybeebop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:47 pm

bosleybeebop wrote:
Will keep an eye out for a while since I don't need to make a purchase for another 2 months. The weight is real, may have to rethink my battery placement closer to the axle! Little fearful of an "accidental" draw down on an expense battery.

The best solution to preventing an accidental discharge is to have a disconnect switch in the main positive lead to the battery. I have such, but intentionally left the battery connected because I thought I was charging the battery.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gambinor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:35 am

Okay, Folks. I read this thread with interest and learned some things about batteries. Thanks for that. However, I just can't get used to all the acronyms on any user board / forum.

I didn't know what an "AGM" was. So..... I looked it up.

For those folks like me, who don't know all the nuances and techy jargon...... here it is: batterystuff.com defines it as,
AGM (absorbed glass mat) is a special design glass mat designed to wick the battery electrolyte between the battery plates. AGM batteries contain only enough liquid to keep the mat wet with the electrolyte and if the battery is broken no free liquid is available to leak out.

................ savvy? 8)
Gambinor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:07 am

I went with this brand for battery for my Jeep, becasue it was the biggest most powerful battery the would fit my Jeep (without modifications) and with electric winch I wanted something the would endure the hardships of off road... Expensive yes, but also has good warranty and its the only battery I have ever seen that comes with a "owners manual"...

http://www.odysseybattery.com/

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:11 am

Gambinor wrote:Okay, Folks. I read this thread with interest and learned some things about batteries. Thanks for that. However, I just can't get used to all the acronyms on any user board / forum.

I didn't know what an "AGM" was. So..... I looked it up.

For those folks like me, who don't know all the nuances and techy jargon...... here it is: batterystuff.com defines it as,
AGM (absorbed glass mat) is a special design glass mat designed to wick the battery electrolyte between the battery plates. AGM batteries contain only enough liquid to keep the mat wet with the electrolyte and if the battery is broken no free liquid is available to leak out.

................ savvy? 8)

Slightly better FAQ sites....

Some simple answers....

http://www.odysseybattery.com/faq.aspx

Something a lot more complex....

http://www.batteryfaq.org/

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:37 pm

I went with a Lifeline 150AH at about 100#.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:58 am

in another game i played for MANY years, finding the most durable battery for it's size was a very real quest for me

the motorcycle i rode typically had quite a few accessories that could, individually, kill a battery and when used together were extremely hard on them

just about wherever i went and whatever i read i kept getting directed to the ODYSSEY brand of AGM battery

it seems like their technoogy is as advanced as any battery available

they offered the BEST BANG FOR THE SPACE, though not cheap

once i bit the bullet i ceased having electrical issues

just this old man's experience/2¢ worth
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:36 pm

My understanding is that Odyssey does not make a true deep cycle.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets