Crimp Connector Advantages

Anything electric, AC or DC

Crimp Connector Advantages

Postby tony.latham » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:26 pm

Yes, I've been a long-time advocate of soldering connectors, but out of efficiency purchased a real crimper instead of my old $4.99 specials.

Anyway, I just stumbled on this write-up of crimping connectors (with the right tool) that also has a good video

https://carmanuals2.com/get/honda-hr-v- ... nual-73400

And here's just the video:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Crimp Connector Advantages

Postby H.A. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Thter..
Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:09 pm

The key word in both cases is "good"; good/proper crimping tool and good soldering ability. Either can be bad to horrid.

I don't solder much any more. Solder is usually reserved for things that need it; circuit boards and the like. Where crimped terminals can be used they are hard to beat with a proper tool.
Last edited by MtnDon on Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:24 pm

I have been soldering for more than 50 years, and I have crimped a countless number of connectors with good and bad tools, and I have to say that if you don't have a good tool, and adequate instruction and/or practice, you are more likely to make a good connection with a crimping tool, no matter how poor than with a soldering iron. If you don't know what you are doing.

Making a good solder joint is not trivial and can't often be accomplished by accident. Making a good crimp joint with a cheap tool has a much larger chance of success than making a good solder joint with a crappy tool and no experience/training.

My $0.02 worth
<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 am

I worked in manufacturing for electric equipment, and we made hundreds of crimp connections every day.
They are highly reliable and considered best practice.
That video is the best information available, right from the worlds largest manufacturer, Tyco/AMP.

But crimps are easy to get wrong.
The only way we could get consistently reliable crimps on our production lines was using dedicated crimp tools, a different tool for each crimp connector type or size. That's those blue handled pliers in the video. The full-stroke, ratchet-action type with specific jaw dies. 400 bucks each.
Crimping two different sizes? You'll need two of those $400 tools.

Myself at home, I use the old cheap orange-and-black universal crimp pliers, the ones we would never allow in our plant.
I take my time and work carefully, and pay attention to that info about stripping properly and grabbing the insulation with the strain relief tabs.
Crimp connectors are my go-to method. I trust them and I have some that are still working after twenty years or more.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:12 am

Long ago, I did maintenance on cables. The preferred method was to crimp on a ring and then dip it in solder pot. Very physically strong and very low electrical resistance.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:47 am

Good find on video...

Yes changeable die ratcheting crimper are the best.... What video did not mention is put a small dab of dielectric grease on wire before inserting into terminal will prevent corrosion in even the best possible crimp... I know they mentioned gas tight connection, but we out here in the wilds don't always have best tooling and do best quality so its just a little added insurance...

It is also good in lamp sockets to prevent corrosion and wire connections to chassis for grounding....

GOOD...

BAD...Take to nearest bridge and throw them as far as you can into river...

Also really good wire skinners are important as mentioned in video... I prefer theses...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:47 pm

These are the cheap crimper style I use.
Notice the jaws on these are different shapes each side.
Bottom is round like a cup, top jaw has a tooth in middle of connector.

Imagek

When you crimp, put the seam line of the connector down in bottom of cup.
Tooth will fold the seam ends in properly. It's a poor man's die set.
There are other very cheap crimpers with just two flat spots to crush connector, giving bad results.

The crap tools are $20, the decent ones are $30 That one in post above probably more, it has nice square sharp jaw dies, should give great results.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:43 am

I prefer to crimp and then solder then heat shrink with glue lined tubing. But that's from my days as an ase master tech.

The biggest issue I see with crimps is that people usually use too big of a terminal because it's easier to insert the wire. So it doesn't crimp tight at all.

Those blue handle crimpers will do a good crimp for most uses. There are some just slightly more expensive but have replaceable jaws that are available for all kinds of sizes and types of terminals.

Those standard old crimper stripper tools are only good for cutting small machine screws to length.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby gDeN » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am

elcam84 wrote:I prefer to crimp and then solder then heat shrink with glue lined tubing. But that's from my days as an ase master tech.

The biggest issue I see with crimps is that people usually use too big of a terminal because it's easier to insert the wire. So it doesn't crimp tight at all.

Those blue handle crimpers will do a good crimp for most uses. There are some just slightly more expensive but have replaceable jaws that are available for all kinds of sizes and types of terminals.

Those standard old crimper stripper tools are only good for cutting small machine screws to length.

As an Engineer and production manager, I deal with issues like this daily. I Agree with everything stated here. Well said. Just be warned that if you solder your connection; (either with or without crimping) the solder has a tendency to wick up the stranded wire. This causes the wire to stiffen and create a stress riser. This is avoided by keeping soldering time to a minimum or in some cases using liquid flux. Because of this a properly crimped connector is considered the most reliable. Of course the heat shrink will help spread the stress out to a longer area. If you anchor your connections so they don't move around due to vibration, a lot of the stress related issues will disappear.
gDeN
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 am

gDeN wrote:
elcam84 wrote:I prefer to crimp and then solder then heat shrink with glue lined tubing. But that's from my days as an ase master tech.

As an Engineer and production manager, I deal with issues like this daily. I Agree with everything stated here. Well said. Just be warned that if you solder your connection; (either with or without crimping) the solder has a tendency to wick up the stranded wire. This causes the wire to stiffen and create a stress riser. This is avoided by keeping soldering time to a minimum or in some cases using liquid flux. Because of this a properly crimped connector is considered the most reliable. Of course the heat shrink will help spread the stress out to a longer area. If you anchor your connections so they don't move around due to vibration, a lot of the stress related issues will disappear.

* After over 50 years of working on 12vdc (and some 120vac) wiring at work (as a troubleshooter for many years) and in so many automotive projects I can't even count, I've used every type of connector imaginable, even non-standard ones (whatever could be adapted to the project). I've had to re-do more crimped butt connectors, both my previous work and others', due to bad crimps, wrong sized connectors used, and from pull-outs due to strain on the wire. And unsealed wiring corroding from weather exposure.

* Since I now am retired, my shared projects are fewer (no co-workers or "friends" around), so I've finally been able to acquire enough connectors and tools to work on my trailers and trucks at home, without finding something missing. All of my connectors, tools (hand and diagnostic), extra wiring, and such are all in 5 bags and tool pouches I've assembled over the past few years, placed in my home "office" and in my personal trucks and TTT, depending on what project is going on.

* Among these kits, I've finally started to switch over to heat-shrink butt connectors, standard-type and solder-seal type, and now have both heat-gun and propane torch heat sources to seal them. Where there's no need for heat-shrink, nor space to apply heat, I also have standard connectors, and my old favorite, Posi-Lock twist on types (though the're now pretty expensive and not readily available). The only tool I haven't re-acquired is my now-lost $100 ratcheting crimper, that I can't justify replacing for occasional usage, so I make do with cheaper pliers. Since none of my crimped/heat-shrinked/soldered/Posi-Locked connections will ever be seen or subject to repair by others, then the perfect crimp isn't needed. Just good enough to do the job is enough for me, now.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:22 pm

I'm just happy that when I board an Airbus, Bombardier, or a Boeing airliner, they have properly crimped terminals.

:thinking: Except those 737 Max aircraft. I'd better shy away. :frightened:

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets