Question about ac-dc converters

Anything electric, AC or DC

Question about ac-dc converters

Postby asloss » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 am

Hi, brand new to the forum, but I'm in the final stages of my woody teardrop. I currently have this wiring diagram essentially, but minus the converter set up: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b8/43/3c/b8433c0315c1f6b402847811deddb1a6.jpg. I just need to run one more negative from my fuse panel back to the converter, correct? That, and cut into the positive run with the converter/switch. Is a 55 amp converter reasonable if my maximum draw is around 20 amps? I've heard there is something like a 2-2.5 ratio. Any testimony for "WFCO or PowerMAX"?

What switch will do the trick? Any 3 option-DC switch? Is it something I can probably find at Lowe's/Home Depot?

One final concern: I'm adding a converter to my system because I will be living in my camper for 6 months at a national park. It can get 105+ degrees in the summer. The converter will be a in a tonguebox, that will be shaded. Should I have concerns for overusage and overheating?

Thanks to all. This website has been a great resource.
asloss
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Question about ac-dc converters

Postby H.A. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:45 pm

[quotire.
Last edited by H.A. on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:03 pm

With regards to WFCO, I had a WFCO 8735 until it failed twice (once after factory repair), so I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics PD4045 and I have not had any problems with it yet.

It incorporates a smart charger that will charge and maintain your battery as well as converting 120VAC to 12VDC for your lights, chargers, and appliances.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby asloss » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:19 pm

In that diagram, does it not show a negative run from the fusepanel's negative bus back to the converter? Are you sure the main DC fuse should be between the switch and battery, and not after, so that it is in both systems?

The whole idea is that while I have a 120 power hookup at my trailer pad at the park - I use a converter (I guess a NON-charging one?) instead of my battery to save the battery's life. When I hit the road, I use a 2 amp battery charger to charge my marine battery. I'm hoping to keep the two systems completely separate. I was under the impression that I can run the marine battery for a couple days before it needs recharged

Is this flawed thinking? As in - should I not have a converter running my DC circuit multiple hours a day for 6 months straight? Do they go out easily? Is it smarter to just have a converter/charger charging your battery and have the two systems combined? Would I even need a switch then?

Thanks for bearing with my onslaught of questions :-)
asloss
Teardrop Inspector

Postby H.A. » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:23 pm

[quo days.
Last edited by H.A. on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby asloss » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:35 pm

Apologies, I don't read electrical diagrams too often. My fuse panel has a negative bus bar, which all the components run back to. I assumed that's, in a sense, what the diagram showed, and that I would make a new negative run from it to the converter.

Thanks for all the info!
asloss
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets