Solar panel refrigerator test

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar panel refrigerator test

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:37 am

We have a old 120v, 3.3 cu ft, Haier dorm type refrigerator. I got it back from my daughter years ago after she graduated from college. I've done a solar test on it before, but never with a good battery. Our 14 year old, mopar truck battery finally gave up the ghost, so I replaced it with a fairly inexpensive, but looks pretty good, RuralKing (Exide) Heavy Duty Farm Battery ($80). I've built my second 50 watt solar panel to go along with my factory built 50 watt, but decided on this test to just use the single factory panel, the new battery and see what the system is really capable of. I have a cheap HF 2000 watt, MSW inverter, so efficiency isn't great, maybe around 75% at best.

Started everything yesterday at 6am. Had a full charge on the battery. Sun wasn't up yet. Took the fridge down to 29 F and set it there. I use a wireless digital thermostat readout to monitor the temp. Finally got enough direct sun by about 9am and kept the panel on the sun until I lost direct sunlight about 6pm (lots of trees here). Daytime temps hit 85 F. Kept the system running through the night. It has been foggy so far this morning (about 9am), but the panel is generating some power. Battery level never dropped below 12 v overnight, fridge temps never got above 33 during the day. I'm going to let it run another 24 hours to see what a single panel can do.

Why do this? I think I originally paid about $80 for the dorm fridge in 2004. I think it paid for itself in 4 years of college, but I'll keep the cost at $80. New battery was $80. Original price on the factory panel was about $80 (seeing a pattern here?). Charge controller was $15. 2/0 wire from battery to inverter was $15. Cost of the PD045 panel/converter was $10 at junk yard. So, all in, over the years, I've got about $270 in my fridge/charging system. If I add in the cost now of the new panel I built (50 watts), it is $53. So for $325 I have a 100 watt system, with a fridge that can act like a freezer. I've test run it down to 17 F for a day running on house supply in the past. Remove the original cost of the factory panel and the fridge, since I already had them, then the cost is $165. Not too shabby.

Oh, and finished up Conch Fritters strip-down / re varnish. Will do some pics when the sun comes out.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: Solar panel refrigerator test

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:52 am

For a little more on our electrical system. We use both 120v and 12v. Camper battery can charge from 120v house supply, 120v HF Generator, 12v solar or 12v from the van. All lights are 12v, as is the pressure water pump and computer duct fans. Laptop is also converted to use 12v. We use the dorm fridge over a 12v compressor system due to cost. It works fine. Don't have a true sine wave inverter because we really don't need it.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby nemoskull » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 pm

i did the same thing. got an hour and a half one a square fridge ( not sure the size, the smallest one.) was using a secondhand 1500w inverter and a 10 AH battery. the biggest problem was the insulation, or lack there of. im planning on hacking the guts and mounting it ice chest like with 3 inch foam insulation.
nemoskull
Teardrop Builder

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 am

On another test run, using both solar panel systems, and outside temps daytime - 85, nighttime - 65. 72 hours of operation, internal temp at 33. Battery never dropped below 12.2v overnight.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets