A/c installation-adjustable push out

Anything electric, AC or DC

A/c installation-adjustable push out

Postby gene so » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:48 am

Hello, I plan to install an AC shore powered air conditioner. I want to have it push out from trailer body when we are at t he camping site. I want the opening to be as airtight as possible, and I would really appreciate insights as to the proper dimensions and sealing materials. I plan to have it on some sort of tray with a roller so I can slide it back and forth. Does this sound reasonable? It seems to me when at the campsite trying to use every square foot of interior space is in my best interest and pushing the A/C outside of ther floor space seems reasonable to me. The trailer will be insulated, so attaining a reasonable temperature inside should be relatively efficient.
Thank you for your attention in this matter.
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A/c installation-adjustable push out

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 pm

There are a couple of examples of slide-out AC units here. But to help you with dimensions etc. we need to know the make and model of the AC you have chosen.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 am

Mine is a "push-pull" setup, but there are no drawer guides, just "shims" to keep things in place & teflon "runners to slide on.

This is the page in my build log to show most of the setup. It might or might not work for what you have in mind. Sort of a PITA to build, but it's functional. A permanent mount is better IMO.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248&start=435
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:54 pm

I put mine behind an eBay baggage door. Works great!
Open from the outside:

Closed from the inside:

I bought the A/C first and built the opening and slides around the measured dimensions of the A/C.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby firemansd19 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:16 pm

bdosborn wrote:I put mine behind an eBay baggage door. Works great!
Open from the outside:

Closed from the inside:

I bought the A/C first and built the opening and slides around the measured dimensions of the A/C.

Bruce

Man I would love to see more pics. How do u seal it off when its slides out. I will be doin the same thing when my trailer gets here. I orders a cargo door similar to that in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 pm

I didn't bother to seal it off, I just made the opening as tight to the A/C as I could. The trailer is so small that any air leakage doesn't affect cooling capacity. I was worried about rain but the open baggage door does a pretty good job of keeping water out. I haven't tried it in a driving rain so YMMV. Since mine is facing forward I added a gate latch to restrain it in transit as it tried to come through the baggage door when I braked.

The baggage door is a nice place to route the TV antenna cable.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby gene so » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:08 am

Hello All,

Many thanks for all this great info. My A/C unit is a Frigidaire 5000 BTU and it is 12 inches tall, by 16 wide, by 16 deep. My trailer is a custom build, internal cabin dimensions at 7' by 5'6" by 5" high with a 24" galley. The idea of an accessory door is simple, professional and no , I never thought of it. I am deep in the Rockies in northern New Mexico and have seen only four of these type trailers on the highway, two in the ditch, one due to small tires and bearings and the other suffered a rear end crash, destroying the galley.

Thanks so much.
Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets