PC power supply as 12v source

Anything electric, AC or DC

PC power supply as 12v source

Postby Vspec » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:02 pm

My CT will have some lightning already installed from the factory (led strips, dome light, loading lights) and I'd love to be able to use em without being hooked up to the TV.

The long term plan is to have battery power but I have to figure out what the requirements will be first. In the mean time I'd like power the lights which I assume will be feed from the Extra Aux wire. Since I will have access to 120v, I was planning to use a 12v power supply. Anything wrong in this approach? There should be a junction box where the lighting wiring is connected to the trailer wiring.

It appears that ATX pc power supply makes great-affordable 12v source. Anyone use a PSU as their 12v source? Any tips, advice or things to be wary of?
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Re: PC power supply as 12v source

Postby friz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 pm

They usually use a stepped transformer so the 5v needs to be loaded to have a stable 12v. Also a couple wires usually need to be jumped to get them to turn on. There are tutorials on the net for doing this. The first lithium chargers were 12v only so many of us RC guys did this because they were cheaper then 12v bench power supplies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:57 am

Yes, you can use a PC power supply as a 12v and 5v source. I've converted several old ones for this purpose and they work well. I do it because I have a ton of old computer parts laying around and I wouldn't do it if I had to buy one. Depending on the PSU, you may be limited in the available current, but it is regulated.

Be sure to check the type of PSU and jump the appropriate wires to allow it to work.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:15 am

Just don't use it to charge your battery! The voltage isn't high enough, and you'll just boil the battery dry. When you get a battery, you'll have to replace it with a real multi-stage converter/charger, so why not do it from the start?

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:34 am

I used a desk top computer power supply. Don't remember the type. It has a max output of 14amps. With 6 led lights and a Fantastic fan on high the most I use is 7.5 amps. I used the switching circuit to turn it on and off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Vspec » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:21 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:Just don't use it to charge your battery! The voltage isn't high enough, and you'll just boil the battery dry. When you get a battery, you'll have to replace it with a real multi-stage converter/charger, so why not do it from the start?

<Chas>
:beer:

Don't worry, this is just a temporary solution until I figure how much ah I will require and what battery type I decide to go with.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets