Lights for my NEO

Anything electric, AC or DC

Lights for my NEO

Postby Raider » Sun May 14, 2017 7:44 pm

So, my 7x12 trailer is due to be completed on a couple weeks and I'm planning my electrical install. The trailer's primary duty will be to provide transport to motorcycle track day events and provide accommodation at multi-day events. Electrical requirements include general interior lighting; charging of iPhones, cameras, GPS timers, etc.; powering tire warmers, air compressors, and other electric tools; a roof vent or A/C; heater; and other duties to be determined on the fly.

I'm thinking and AC/DC system with a PD4045 at the heart. Electricity will be supplied by either a Honda 3000i, direct connection via drop cord to track or house supplied 120v, or in case none of those is available, a deep-cycle or other Lithium battery (i.e. Antigravity) to power the lights only until the generator can be setup and connected.

As I understand the PD 4045, I can have 2 AC circuits. I'm thinking to run 3 outlets on each circuit down each side of the trailer. On the DC side, at the moment, all I think I need is the lighting and possibly some USB outlets to provide the charging.

I'm struggling to come up with a lighting solution at the moment. Obviously, 12V LED lights would be the ideal solution. Would something like this be bright enough (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 5050/4009/)? The trailer will have a 45 degree transition and I'm thinking to run the 16' worth of LEDs along the transition. Could I put the strips in a profile housing with a frosted diffuser to provide a softer glow? I'm thinking to wire it through a dimmer to have a light that is bright enough during the day, but soft enough to use at night. I've never worked with LEDs before, but as long as I wire the lights to the 12V side of the PD4045, I shouldn't need anything else for a power supply, right?

Thanks for the advice!
Raider
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Lights for my NEO

Postby John61CT » Sun May 14, 2017 8:23 pm

Yes. Anything that can be run from DC directly, should be.

Much more efficient than using the inverter.

Almost all those electronics are native DC, the AC power bricks, wall warts, anything with a rechargeable battery, are double-wasteful compared to just getting little DC converters with the right size/polarity plugs.

As you buy new gear, look to see if DC powered equivalents exist.

A favorite expresso machine or something may be difficult, but many people can make do without an inverter completely.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Lights for my NEO

Postby Padilen » Sun May 14, 2017 9:08 pm

I have a PD4045 and more that 2 circuits. I have the main-30, single pole, then I have dual breakers. All my lights are DC, and I have 3 DC outlets, 5 AC outlets- one outside. I originally had one DC and 2 AC thinking that was enough. NOT.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets