Overhead wiring. Retraction?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Overhead wiring. Retraction?

Postby gene so » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 am

Hello, I am running wire overhead to my vent and also my galley. The galley lighting for the door will be D.C. I realize when I open up the galley door I will be stretching the wires in expansion andalso when closing the door that expanded wire can be pinched and eventually there will be problems and shorts. What can I install on those electrical lines that will allow them to be stretched out when the galley door is open and will also retract them when the door goes closed so they do not get pinched ? I have found nothing so far that is capable of doing this operation.
Thanks to anyone who has solved this problem if they will share their method with me.

Gene S.
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Overhead wiring. Retraction?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 am

Gene:

I don't have a solution for a retracting cable, but this is what I do:

Sorry about the out of focus photo... (it's 35ยบ out there right now so I'm not too interested in going back out for an in-focus photo).

The hatch wiring is in a plastic loom. Not sure if it's 3/8" loom or 1/4" but you get the idea.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:24 pm

A coiled cord would be an option. https://goo.gl/zXwUMc
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:42 pm

The wire loom material tony showed works fine. Mant places carry it in assorted diameters. Here's one http://www.autozone.com/starting-chargi ... /64478_0_0
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:37 am

• I built a utilitarian squareback trailer, for go, not show purposes. I scarcely concealed any hardware used, nor covered any wiring. Inside the trailer cabin, I hid wiring running from my fusebox to my overhead shelf (powering stereo/speakers,various lights, computer case fans for venting, and my larger 10" main fan underneath the shelf) inside a grey wire loom, held in place with screwed-on cable-tie mounts. At the rear of the trailer, I secured a wire powering the LED lighting of my license plate holder/bracket with similar cable-tie mounts. They were adhesive-backed, but I added a small screw to ensure that they would remain secure.
  • wire loom covering and cable-tie mount.png
    wire loom covering and cable-tie mount.png (403.05 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
    utilitarian, barely hidden wiring inside grey loom
  • holding wiring in place on underside of hatch.png
    holding wiring in place on underside of hatch.png (397.65 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
    exposed wire to license plate also held with cable-tie mounts
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:42 am

I'll place another vote for plastic wire loom.

I had two "runs" of wiring to my hatch - one on each side. One run was for trailer brake, running, and turn lighting. The other was for the hatch light. Each run has a 4-pin connector so that I can disconnect the wiring so the hatch can be removed.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:21 pm

I do something similar to the wire loom but use a 4 pin trailer connection so I have the option to remove the galley lid if needed.
It also affords me the flexibility when building the lid off the teardrop.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Electrical Secrets