Well off and running well at least it was

Anything electric, AC or DC

Well off and running well at least it was

Postby DavidMcC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm

LOL. Well we went and picked up my new 5x8 utility trailer to start my new trailer project. Somebody had cut the pigtail off of the trailer not that that was a big deal Lowes just gave me a new pigtail. I had brought my magnetic lights and everything worked fine. Well I brought it home put it in the garage and then I began rewiring the trailer. I was able to get hazards, and turn but no brake or running lights. On the little plug in tester it shows all green but really light green like very little power going thru. I checked for a ground fault but didn't find anything....next move would be a fuse I would think but I have no idea which one (2017 ford escape se)
Any suggestions? Thanks,
David
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Well off and running well at least it was

Postby jsnbergman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:19 am

DavidMcC wrote:LOL. Well we went and picked up my new 5x8 utility trailer to start my new trailer project. Somebody had cut the pigtail off of the trailer not that that was a big deal Lowes just gave me a new pigtail. I had brought my magnetic lights and everything worked fine. Well I brought it home put it in the garage and then I began rewiring the trailer. I was able to get hazards, and turn but no brake or running lights. On the little plug in tester it shows all green but really light green like very little power going thru. I checked for a ground fault but didn't find anything....next move would be a fuse I would think but I have no idea which one (2017 ford escape se)
Any suggestions? Thanks,
David

4 pin connector? and is it a factory wiring harness on the Edge? On a 4 pin the supply voltage for the Brake, Turn, and stop should be the same green(right)/yellow(left) wire. Brown would be your running lights. I would check with a multimeter at the trailer connection of the car, verify 12v when brake applied on G and Y. 12v with lights on Brown wire.

I have seen some pigtails that dont run a ground wire, relying on the hitch connection itself. Grounds(or lack of) make for funny trouble.
jsnbergman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:40 pm

Your magnetic lights worked well because they have a dedicated ground wire to each light. Are the hazard lights independent of the running/ turn signal/brake lights? Trailer builders drill clearance holes for the light fixtures and mount them AFTER the trailer is painted. Paint is an insulator. I would suggest running a dedicated ground (usually a white wire) from your flat connector to each fixture and affixing it to the fixture mounting studs with a ring or spade clip. Just make a series circuit around the trailer perimeter. This will assure good grounds now and forever. If this doesn't do it, look at the flat connector itself. It's not the fuses. If you have ANY voltage, it's never the fuses.........jg
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby DavidMcC » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks for the tips folks, using a amp/voltage meter I was able to trace the problem to a fault box (inverter out converter, I'm not sure which) that I'm happy to say earlier replaced. I'm now up and running. Thanks again.
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets