getting frustrated

Anything electric, AC or DC

getting frustrated

Postby DavidMcC » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 pm

I have Hazard lights and turn lights I don't have running lights or brake lights. This problem is in the tow vehicle. I installed a Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
Item # C56320 and the wife said all lights were working that day ( last week). I was using a magnetic light set up to transport home as the wiring pigtail had been cut off by some jackwagon. I put one of those little light test plugs into the Tow vehicle pig tail and it shows full amp or full light on the turn sig. but in the brake it is very faint, lit but faint.
If it were a fuse then it wouldn't even be faint would it? I checked the underhood fuses and didn't see a problem unless I missed something. How would I even know which fuse it is? I checked the one fuse next to the battery that comes with the wire harness and that was fine.
Any ideas?
Thank You
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: getting frustrated

Postby Dale M. » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:52 am

Check TV owner's manual for "fuses" and location.. If brake lights are working on TV I seriously doubt its a fuse..

Back up a step and test again with magnetic lights, if it's good, then it's probably trailer wiring that is problem....

Problem could also be wire harness adapter, if it has electronics inside it could be failing.... They are not perfect... One time I when through 3 different ones till I found one that worked properly...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:45 pm

If this happens to be a Harbor Freight trailer or one similar. I finally gave up and ran a dedicated ground wire from the tow to the trailer frame and the problem persisted. I then placed a small worm clamp around the bulb holder barrel and trapped a ground wire to it. Problem was solved. You simply have a poor ground connection.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby DavidMcC » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Thank You Gentlemen. Ok, here is where I'm at after following your direction. I have everything except running lights. I have two brown wires coming off of the trailer and one off of the tv. I tried connecting tv to one trailer brown nope, then tv to other brown nope, and just for kicks I tried all three together nope. I wonder if it could be a bulb problem....not likely. if that was the case then the two markers on the sides of the trailer as well as the ones in the rear of the trailer would be bad, I'm kinda just thinking outloud here but feel free to chime in. If one bulb was out would that be enough to break the circuit? What are your thoughts?
thanks
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Bob Henry gave you an excellent recommendation. :thumbsup:

Grab a long wire and run a temp ground for testing from the tow vehicle to the closest bulb socket. If you get it to light you have proven the bad ground. If there is no light, hook a 12v tester to that wire and check for power at that socket.

If neither test pans out your electronics are likely the culprit.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:34 am

Oddly enough the brown wire or tail lamps/side markers should all be on one circuit, AND should NOT be going through any convert process, but may (according to earlier comment) be amplified by 12 volts directly from car battery through the "converter" package....

Best tool I've ever used was a $5 test lamp.... Only way it can fail is if bulb is burned out....

Image\

First test at plug on TV, if good there, chase the wiring through tralier to lamp holders..

Also what was brand and model of wiring adapter added to tow vehicle...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shoebone » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Bad ground can give all sorts of funky misleading results
Shoebone
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DavidMcC » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:54 am

guess I should have updated this sorry. it turns out that the box (inverter or converter or something to that effect) was bad. I contacted etrailer and they are shipping me a new one it should be here Tues. :applause:
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets