Please review my wiring diagram

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Please review my wiring diagram

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:30 pm

Treeview wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:Plug the trailer into the 20A circuit as "shore power"

I had to read your reply ten times to understand what you mean. Kinda cryptic.

I don't want to have a plug for the genset output. I want it hard wired just like shore power and solar comes into the controllers. I realize there needs to be switching protection, either a manual switch or automatic, so that shore power and generator don't hit each other if they
are on at the same time

There are 2 options then. Hardwire the “shore power” in the diagram to the genset. Or install an additional transfer switch.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Please review my wiring diagram

Postby Trebor English » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:26 pm

You have a fuse at the battery then a switch then the positive bus bar. There's a wire from the bus bar to the distribution / fuse panel in the PD. I am presuming that is fat wire like #6 with an 85 amp battery fuse. The wire to the charge controller is probably #10 or #12. If it chafes on a sharp edge and shorts the big battery fuse will be too big to protect that wire. The small fuse over at the charge controller won't help as the battery is the source that can ignite that wire.

I have just a fuse panel rather than a PD. I use one of those fuse positions with a 30 amp fuse to connect the charge controller. With my geographic layout that works. You could use one of the PD fuses to connect the solar charge controller to the rest of the world.

The fuse where the solar panel connects to th charge controller is not necessary. The fuse that protects that circuit from the battery will protect it all the way to the solar panel. All of that wire must be big enough to handle the solar panel maximum current. If you have low voltage drop wire, #10, it can handle 30 amps. A 6 amp solar panel cannot overheat that wire. No fuse necessary.
Trebor English
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets