Need help with converter PLEASE

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:00 pm

Jim,

I bought it on ebay... can't remember for sure what I paid, but $39 comes to mind...

Here's the spec sheet on it...
http://www.total-power.com/S250.pdf

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jim Marshall » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:59 pm

Jack, thanks a bunch my friend, I appreciate that. We will order one of their catalogs, it sounds great.

Mike, thanks for the link to the specs on it. That sounds like a great price, I know you were happy to get it.
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:29 am

madjack wrote:hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in but I think a PC PS needs a load across it to work...in other words, a reisitor must be put across the PS to make it work...but I really dunno the particulars
madjack 8)

Jack,

I too hope someone who knows what they're talking about chimes in, I know I sure don't. :lol:
I read about the idea from someone else on tha board and thought it might be a good idea worth researching. :thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby dacrazyrn » Mon May 29, 2006 2:31 am

Here is I understand how to hook up the converter.
and here is how I understand with a Main

Here is a question, though. What happens if you hook up a line from the battery onto the yellow line (power line for 12V in the pic with the screw)...would this effectively make it an INVERTER also when shore power is disconnected? I am sure it wouldn't, but never hurts to ask. Or is it already doing this when it is not being charged (my red charging wire that goes to the battery)? IE: does the 110v work when not on shore power and working off the battery?
If it did, the breaker(or Main if 2 breakers) would have to be shut off, so as to not have a charged line to the plug.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby JIML1943 » Mon May 29, 2006 4:10 am

dacrazyrn

That unit is a converter only (110v ac to 12v dc) with battery charger, not made to be used as an inverter. Will not invert 12v dc to 110v ac.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby dacrazyrn » Mon May 29, 2006 6:19 am

what I had figured...why I do have the inverter that I plan on using. Thanks.
dacrazyrn
Teardrop Master

Postby dakotamouse » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:39 pm

We bought one of those Centurion converters too and were dismayed to find no instructions came with. :?

BUT Thanks to some wonderful help from Gratis we are installed and it all makes sense! :thumbsup:

I hope he doesn't mind but this is a copy of the instructions he sent us.

Don't feel bad, Mine came the same way. It is still sitting on the shelf in the garage since I don't really have more then a frame and two walls right now.

This is what I was able to figure out so far.

12V

Lug A: Goes to the battery and the vehicle hot wire

Lugs B to G are for 12 V circuits. They match up with the fuse holders so no biggie there. You just run all your positive 12V wires to their own lug and install a fuse.

All the 12 V grounds go to the lug strip on the back of the unit. I believe that this lug is also meant to be grounded to the trailer frame if you like.

120 V

From shore power:

Hot (black) wire goes to the lug up at the top right next to where the breakers install. This will make the blades hot next to it. Make sure you have the black wire going over to the charger included on the lug.

Neutral (White) Goes on the upper lug strip on the bottom under the breakers. There should be a white wire hooked up there already for the charger

Ground wire hooks to the other Lug strip on the bottom.

For Each 120 V Circuit:

Black wire goes to Breaker Lug

White wire goes to upper lug strip under breakers

Ground goes to lower lug strip under breakers

I hope that helps. I am going off memories from a few years ago when I wired a pop-up camper with this same converter.

Now is also a good time to get the ratings off that small glass fuse inside the unit so you can stock a spare. Those have a tendency to go out at the worst possible times leaving you with no 12V DC.

Good Luck!

An extra big THANK YOU to Gratis for all the help! :)

Dakotamouse

Where did you get it? We didn't get it, we built it!
Myron and Mary
dakotamouse
Titanium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets