Need help with converter PLEASE

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby JIML1943 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:33 pm

That should be right use it for kill switch and connect a breaker in one of the other slots to fuse your appliances.

good luck

:thumbsup: Jim
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Joamon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:25 am

Hey Jim do you have air conditioning in that trailer?
Is that converter big enough to handle it?
Thanks Keith
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby JIML1943 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:31 am

I don't have one in it yet but in the future i will i have.I have a small dehumidifer that i'm thinking of taking apart and building it into a split system ac unit, it's only 2000 btu so it should long enough to take out the humidity. [still on drawing board]. As far as the converter running it i don't see a problem my converter is the 15 amp model and so far the only thing on it is the fridge tv and dvd player i'll carry a small heater in cooler weather the one i have only draws 7.5 amps on medium heat. Even using a 5000 btu window shaker it should handle it it if not you can always carry spare drop cord and hook ac directly into shore power.

Good luck, Jim :thumbsup:
Last edited by JIML1943 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:41 am

Jim,

I'm far from the electrical expert, but I have read here that an inverter will not handle the initial startup of an A/C unit. I'm sure one of the experts on here will let you know for sure.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby JIML1943 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:55 am

toypusher

Good morning you could be right but the 110 volt circuit should have nothing to do with the converter. power comes from shore power to 110 volt breakers if your breakers will carry the start up load i don't see a problem. i don't know off hand what full load amps is on a 5000 btu unit.

I've been wrong before
Last edited by JIML1943 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:58 am

JIML1943 wrote:...I've been wrong before

ME TOO! :lol:

I guess that I did not fully understand the 'inverter' setup that you were talking about. Need to learn how read one of these days. :oops:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby JIML1943 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:12 am

toypusher

I guess i should have said converter.

See i said i've been wrong before.

happy camping Jim :)

JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Joamon » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:16 pm

OK Jim One last question (for now). What size incoming power cord did you use? I have a 12 awg that I got ceap but I'm thinking I might keep my eyes open for a 10 awg. What do ya think?
Thanks again Keith

This sure is a great place to get answers. Thanks for everyones help. :)
Joamon
Teardrop Master

Postby JIML1943 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:44 pm

Joamon

If your unit is 15 amp as mine 12 gage wire is fine that is what i used on mine for 110 volt wiring. i did use 8 gage on 12 volt from converter to batteries,converter is in galley and batteries are on tongue.

Jim :thumbsup:

JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:58 pm

Great gobs of goose grease, there is no way I am going to understand this. :cry: If I am on the wrong thread or I should start one please let me know and I will. I don't want to hijack someone's thread.

I am using shore power into our tear. I don't want to use a battery at all. I thought I could get a converter to run my inside 12 V lights, hatch light and vent fan from 110 AC. I will be using straight 110 for our micro wave, coffee pot and hot plate. Now if I can find a vent fan for the Fantastic vent (I think that is what it is called) that is 110 I can forget about a converter all together. Does anyone know of a camper vent with a fan that runs off 110 AC?

One more question, I noticed on Madjack's WWW that he had one of the shore power plugs for the power to come into the tear, does anyone have a link for this plug? If I am out of line here please let me know, I don't want to have anyone upset with me. :)
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Kevin A » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:22 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:Great gobs of goose grease, there is no way I am going to understand this. :cry: If I am on the wrong thread or I should start one please let me know and I will. I don't want to hijack someone's thread.

I am using shore power into our tear. I don't want to use a battery at all. I thought I could get a converter to run my inside 12 V lights, hatch light and vent fan from 110 AC. I will be using straight 110 for our micro wave, coffee pot and hot plate. Now if I can find a vent fan for the Fantastic vent (I think that is what it is called) that is 110 I can forget about a converter all together. Does anyone know of a camper vent with a fan that runs off 110 AC?

One more question, I noticed on Madjack's WWW that he had one of the shore power plugs for the power to come into the tear, does anyone have a link for this plug? If I am out of line here please let me know, I don't want to have anyone upset with me. :)

Jim, I think your post is ok here. 8)
Have you considered using a computer power supply hooked up to a couple 12volt case fans mounted in your roof vent? I don't see why you couldn't also connect a couple small 12 volt lights to it as well as long as you don't exceed the output of the P/S. I would think a 350 or 400watt P/S should work with no problem.
I found my shore power plug at Bass Pro Shops
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:29 pm

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the suggestion, I will do a research on that and see how that will work. Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I am looking for.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:10 am

Jim,

I bought this 18 amp power supply on ebay. I figured I'd be on shoreline all the time, and just need it to power my lights, vent and furnace. I may package a battery on the tongue later though, just in case.

I have heard that you can't really use the power supply from a computer, but I'm not an electrician, so I can't tell you why.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jim Marshall » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:14 am

Mike, is this unit expensive? A friend of mine told me that Harbor Freight has the converters. Do I need a converter or inverter to change AC into DC? I have wired a lot of houses but I have never had anything to do with DC current. The only thing I will need DC current for is the vent fan. I had planned to use DC with our cabin and hatch lights but can easily use a small AC light for these.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:28 pm

Jim, the price on the plug that Kevin linked to is about as good as I have seen...I got ours at wytekwire.com...it may have been a dollar cheaper...I recommend to folks to get Waytek catalog...it is chock full of electrical goodies...hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in but I think a PC PS needs a load across it to work...in other words, a reisitor must be put across the PS to make it work...but I really dunno the particulars
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets