Battery Advice

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby toypusher » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:19 pm

I have one that I paid about $129.00 (I think??)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Julie, the link I had above to Optima batteries will give ya a price delivered to your door...it is as good as the price I have found on them at any local outlet...they are about twice the price of a good standard deep cycle battery and as such you would have to weigh the wow factor against price...as Dale stated, you could buy the Deltrans charger and a regular deep cycle battery for the price of an Optima...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Battery Advice

Postby Q » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:08 pm

For a single battery, go down to Costco and get a group 27 RV battery. Don't waste your money on gimic batteries like the Optima.

Q (solar home battery powered for 18 years)

Loader wrote:Which battery would be best for use in Teardrops?

I have done some searching, however thought I'd ask. I have found "use the biggest marine available", Seen Optima "Blue Tops", etc. Just looking for thoughts and opinions.

I plan to install a single battery and use the Deltran tender when shore power is availble.

Thanks!
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby GeorgeTelford » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Hi Again

Gel batteries are definately a waste of money all hype with no benefit.

Oklaoama the Optima 51 is a 41 amphour battery, which means coops usage must have been extremely frugal to last so long, even a small RV battery is 85 Amp hour

I said it, then Q said it far more eloquently

Don't waste your money on gimic batteries like the Optima.

would only clarify gimic batteries to = anything thats not straight lead acid.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby goldcoop » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:41 pm

madjack wrote:Coop, that is good to hear...I really like the D51 for it's small size(only 5"thick) and lightweight(26#s)........... 8)

Well CRAP!

My Optima is the D31 (BIG, Heavy Mutha)!

Sorry!

I made my decision for this battery before I knew this board existed!

Would I do it again?

YES!

Two things (hype or not) sold me: the lack of outgassing and it's vibration resistance.

I camp in some pretty remote areas of central & northern PA mostly, LOTS of bumpy, rutted, dirt roads...

I'm happy so far, TIME will tell the tale!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Loader » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:41 pm

I appreciate all the advice and website links. I’ll be reading and researching a lot over the next few days I think. I really want to compare price to performance. I know I’ll be buying a Deltran charger/tender, so as both Q and George stated; a less expensive battery may be in my future. A trip to Costco is in order.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:55 pm

goldcoop wrote:I camp in some pretty remote areas of central & northern PA mostly, LOTS of bumpy, rutted, dirt roads...

Coop

As far as I know, most vehicles have regular lead/acid batteries, not the gel type (correct me if I am wrong), and they handle bumpy, rutted, dirt roads without problems. Or, do some vehicles come with gel batteries?
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:55 pm

Coop, the same 2 things attract me to the Optimas...its superior vibration resistance and its lack of outgassing in all but very "HOT" charging situations...it also will recharge faster than a COMPARIBLE sized L/A battery and hold its untended charge for MUCH longer...as to being longer lived, as you said, only time will tell, according to Optima, you should see a 50 to 100% increase in its life span...whether it is worth the extra money is something only the individual buyer can decide for themselves...I have done enough research in the last few years on them to believe they are a "gimmick", if they were just a gimmick, they would not still be around IMNSHO
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:57 pm

I've got the largest Optima Yellow top ( D34/78 ) and a Deltran charger. I went with this combinatin because I mounted my battery in my lower galley cabinet along with my other electrical components. I was concerned about battery acid corroding the floor of my tear and outgassing in such close proximity to my electrical components.

So far I'm happy with that combination. However, the real test will come this summer. We'll be spending a week at our favorite Cape Cod campground. This place doesn't have any hookups. We'lll be relying on the battery all week.

I'm not big on maintenance. So the Optima was probably a good choice for me. I have several dead deep cycle batteries that I managed to kill during my fishing days.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:13 pm

Dale-

Yep most cars have lead plate, but as I see it they also have pretty complex suspension systems too, my trailer bucks like a bronco sometimes :lol:

MJ-

Yes, I do enjoy the ability to charge fairly quickly and the discharge is LLLLOOONNNGGG.

Seems to take quite a bit of use to get it to discharge and when I turn everything off the voltage gauge will come back up pretty quick.

Tom-

My biggest trouble with our weeks vaca w/o hookup was my teenage daughter!

Just had to drill her about turning lights, fan, etc. OFF. The power is finite and its not like being at home! :lol:

I think if you are conservative, keep your eye on the volt meter, you'll be fine with your set up!

I did notice a outlet in the shower house just in case!:roll:
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby TomS » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:27 pm

goldcoop wrote:Tom-

My biggest trouble with our weeks vaca w/o hookup was my teenage daughter!

Just had to drill her about turning lights, fan, etc. OFF. The power is finite and its not like being at home! :lol:

I think if you are conservative, keep your eye on the volt meter, you'll be fine with your set up!

I did notice a outlet in the shower house just in case!:roll:

Thanks.

On his trip it will be just my wife and me. I figure if we use the latern to light the galley, and minimize our use of the overhead flourescents in the cabin, we'll be fine. We have a pair of LED reading lights in the cabin that have very low draw. Nights on the cape are usually very cool, so we won't be running the fan very much.

As a fall back, I could always tap into my car's electrical system provided I'm careful not to draw down the car's battery too.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Q » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:56 pm

What causes outgassing? Overcharging.

What gasses are emitted? Hydrogen and oxygen.

Will a gel cell outgass if overcharged? Yes.

Is a gel cell more likely to be damaged by overcharging? Yes.

Is it good to overcharge a deep cycle battery occationally? Yes, unless it's a gel cell.

Is a gel cell more resistant to vibration? Yes.

Is vibration a common killer of standard RV batteries? No.

Optima batteries are a hype product just as the Sears Diehard Incredicells were back in the early 90s.

It's your money and you can spend it any way you want. What ever happend to Splitfire sparkplugs?

Q

goldcoop wrote:
madjack wrote:Coop, that is good to hear...I really like the D51 for it's small size(only 5"thick) and lightweight(26#s)........... 8)

Well CRAP!

My Optima is the D31 (BIG, Heavy Mutha)!

Sorry!

I made my decision for this battery before I knew this board existed!

Would I do it again?

YES!

Two things (hype or not) sold me: the lack of outgassing and it's vibration resistance.

I camp in some pretty remote areas of central & northern PA mostly, LOTS of bumpy, rutted, dirt roads...

I'm happy so far, TIME will tell the tale!

Cheers,

Coop
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby emiller » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:21 pm

:thumbsup: I don't have the article from trailer life that did an a piece on this subject anymore, but I remember that the lifeline battery out performed all others. I also remember it was a bit pricey also.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:16 am

Anybody use Ni-Med batteries? I know they are smaller and supposed to hold a charge longer but are about twice the price....
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:27 am

emiller wrote::thumbsup: I don't have the article from trailer life that did an a piece on this subject anymore, but I remember that the lifeline battery out performed all others. I also remember it was a bit pricey also.

...looked them up...they start at around 200bucks...makes that Optima at $139 look like a deal and $70 L/A a downright steal
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets