AC Life: Integrating Inverter Charger

Anything electric, AC or DC

AC Life: Integrating Inverter Charger

Postby Rustic313 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I am getting ready for a new trailer build. I have a good handle on the 12V DC side and actually already have the power center all wired up and ready to go (battery bank, solar charge controller, sub-panel, and leads for the inverter-charger).

The AC side is a bit trickier though.

My current plan is the following:
- 30A motorplug
- Main breaker panel w/ 30A main breaker and four 20A circuits
-- Circuit #1: Inverter Charger goes here. The inverter charger then has a GFCI off of it that you can use to plug in things "off grid."
-- Circuit #2: A/C. This will only be run off of shore power.
-- Circuit #3: Auxiliary GFCI for space heater, only to be run off of shore power or generator.
-- Circuit #4: Additional auxiliary circuit (for outlet at the back of the trailer).

Finally, I was going to add an exterior outlet on the passenger side of the trailer. On the interior, it will simply be wired to an extension cord three-prong plug which allows it to be plugged into circuit #3 (if on shore power) or circuit #1 (if boondocking). Not the most elegant but seems like it would work.

This seems pretty straightforward and like it should work out ok. My main question is if there is a smarter way to integrate the inverter charger. It would be convenient to wire it up in such a way that ALL of the circuits would run off of the inverter when on battery power (fan only for A/C, lower amp appliances on the GFCIs, etc)... That way all the outlets just work all the time, whether you're on grid or not. However, the inverter has a max rating of 20A (on shorepower) and 15A (on battery), so by running everything through a sub panel that goes from the inverter I think I'd be limiting my max load from 30A down to 20A. Trying to run two space heaters in the winter (or an A/C and a kitchen appliance) is viable on 30A but not on 20A.

Is there something I'm missing here? Or is what I've come up with the simplest way to go?
Rustic313
Teardrop Builder

Re: AC Life: Integrating Inverter Charger

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:00 pm

I have a Morningstar 300W Sursine inverter. I wired it so that it feeds all the 120AC outlets using a 30A DPDT switch which cuts the shore power going to the converter (otherwise you would be trying to charge the battery from the inverter).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets