2 batteries?

Anything electric, AC or DC

2 batteries?

Postby gene so » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello,
I am building a heavy duty teardrop, towed by my 4x4, for anticipated long trips and off road activity for potential protracted situations.
The unit is being wired for 12 and 120v applications for both campsite and primitive applications. I have no experience whatsoever with 12 electrical usage in primitive situations. My DC applications will be : refrigerator, which can also be powered by propane, 12v water pump, 12 v lights in cabin and also galley, and a 12v receptacle in the galley..
I have a 12v HD battery on hand already and admit it is a real heavyweight to lug around. Weight is not a primary consideration in this issue. I am having dual propane tanks for usage and, am calling on you experienced campers to give me your opinions on whether I need dual batteries also. Please include your experience with off road primitive camping along with your answers. I am 75, just recovered from Cancer and a Heart attack so must get this right the first time. Sorry for the drama, but it is legitimate.
Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 2 batteries?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Two batteries certainly won't hurt. If you do decide to go with 2 batteries make sure they both have a born date not more than 2 months apart or the oldest will sulfate first and will continue with a replacement, been there done that.
I mount my 2 batteries just behind the axle. :D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby John61CT » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Sorry for your troubles…

gene so wrote:My DC applications will be : refrigerator, which can also be powered by propane
The 12V side can only be run while charge source is active, too inefficient for battery use. Use propane otherwise, or get a 12V compressor style fridge

> 12v receptacle in the galley.

don't use for over 7-8A

> I have a 12v HD battery on hand already and admit it is a real heavyweight to lug around.

so will any decent lead bank, install them so they don't shift while traveling

> whether I need dual batteries also

Without a fridge, maybe not. Try and see, if you do, best to buy a new bank all at once.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Dont forget a fan or two on the 12v. RV vent fans are pretty efficient. Low energy consumers like LED lights, fans, water pumps do well on 12v. Leave your refrigeration, heat, ac on other sources and one battery will be fine if you are diligent about monitoring your state of charge. I dont let my battery get below half charge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby gene so » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:28 am

Hello,
Thanks ever so much for your insight. I simply forgot about my 12v maxxair fan, yet to be installed.
Carefully reading your insights I realize I cannot get a matching pair ( manufacture date) of batteries since I have had the one for nearly a year now.

I have decided to go with a single battery. It will go into the huge box I got off Craigs List, and if I decide to add another battery in the future, there will be plenty of room for expansion. I will place it in a wood enclosure with some sort of material underneath to absorb road shock, vibration etc.

The site has been absolutely necessary for me to build this trailer, and there is no way I can adequately thank you for your advice.

Take care,

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets