Upgrading my electrical System - Looking for input

Anything electric, AC or DC

Upgrading my electrical System - Looking for input

Postby Newt182 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:15 am

The current electrical system in my CTC is just a simple 12 volt system running on 2 6 volt golf cart batteries in a compartment and I just hook up a battery charger and charge them before going on a trip. I never planned to use AC in my trailer so I did not wire for it, but I recently picked up a WFCO 8975 Power center at auction. Assuming it's not DOA, I would like to make use of it for charging my batteries and replacing my current fuse panel for DC power distribution. I mostly camp off grid so my objective would be to be able to plug my CTC in when at home to charge the batteries and also to be able to plug into a generator when off grid to top off the batteries if needed. Being able to make use of shore power at a camp site would be an added bonus if needed so I would like to be able to support that option as well. Below is my current setup and my planned changes with the WFCO-8975. Any and all input is appreciated.

Current Setup
2 US Battery 2200 6 Volt GC Batteries wired in series 232ah
Blue sea Systems 12v fuse panel with ground
BEP Cut off switch
Devices - LED 12v Ceiling lights,LED Strip lights, MaxxAir Fan, SureFlow 12v Water Pump, cigarette lighter style power outlet and USB charging outlets.
Grounding - All devices return to the fuse panel for grounding, nothing is grounded to the frame.

Planned changes
Add shore power inlet - EPICORD EXRV060B RV 30 Amp 125V Marine Twist Easy Lock Power Inlet Black https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D8MGSS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Add WFCO 8975 Power Center https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8975-75-amp/
Add DC grounding block (or just use the grounding side of the blue sea panel I have)
Add 40 Amp fuse/breaker on the + terminal of the battery
Add a single AC Outlet near the WFCO 8975 just so I have one in the event I have shore power available
Future addition would be a Pure Sine Wave inverter to run a dorm style fridge.

Questions I have:

1. Is the 30 amp inlet what I need for shore power hookup? I've seen campgrounds advertise 50 amp service but 30 amp inlet seems to be what I've see people use.
2. What kind of wire do I use to wire the inlet to the WFCO-8975, 12-2 Romex?
3. By using a 15amp to 30amp adapter such as this can I plug in at home or to a generator to charge the batteries. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074VVHWVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4. Grounding - As stated above nothing is currently grounded to the frame of the trailer including the batteries. I've read grounds should be run from the Batteries, the DC grounding Block and the WFCO Power center to the frame and connect at the same point with the same bolt. This is my plan.

One other thing I need to do is to put my batteries in a vented box. Right now they are not since I only charge them when I have the trailer opened at home. I was planning to find some sort of plastic tote that is the right size for the batteries and connect a hose to a vent in the wall of my CTC. Any pointers or input on this is also appreciated.

Thanks!
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Upgrading my electrical System - Looking for input

Postby bmr528 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:21 pm

I think everything you have planned sounds good to me with one exception..

I would add a couple 110 outlets through the Trailer ( Just in case)

I am not 100% sure on the grounding of 12v ground & 110AC ground to the chassis. I would do more research on that..

djl
bmr528
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Upgrading my electrical System - Looking for input

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Plan on more than you think you need!!!
We have 4 120 AC outlets in the cabin and six outside. 4 12V DC inside and two outside. they have all been used.
Consider the Progressive Dynamics over the WFCO US Made and less problems. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/pd9100-series-rv-power-converters/
30A Is going to be fine, figure on 20A for the home outlet.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets