Butt Connectors

Anything electric, AC or DC

Butt Connectors

Postby greygoos » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:36 am

Used these on my latest fiasco. LOL Thought it might help for some. The connectors already have solder inside and glue to hold in place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wh5gM8GM70
Attachments
butt.jpg
butt.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Re: Butt Connectors

Postby John61CT » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:46 am

Looks pretty good, but I'll stick to marine-quality crimping, having already invested in research, practice and the right tools.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:06 pm

greygoos wrote:Used these on my latest fiasco. LOL

Say, that would be a good name for a teardrop: My Latest Fiasco! Are you planning on using it? If not, may we steal it? :lol:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
greygoos wrote:Used these on my latest fiasco. LOL

Say, that would be a good name for a teardrop: My Latest Fiasco! Are you planning on using it? If not, may we steal it? :lol:

Tom

Be happy to let someone else have the name.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby greygoos » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:32 pm

John61CT wrote:Looks pretty good, but I'll stick to marine-quality crimping, having already invested in research, practice and the right tools.

Maybe you can share your research, practice technique and tools you are using so we can all benefit from your experience.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Starting point, everything from Maine Sail / CMS is worthy of close study

https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/

Google

site:sailboatowners.com maine-sail crimp

also cruisersforum.com c34.org sailnet.com etc

Another great alternative is getting custom cables made by http://genuinedealz.com
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 am

I dont and wont every use any form of crimps. Either use weather proof connectors or solder and heat shrink. Any form of crimp type connectors do eventually always fail, sometimes in very bad ways. Marine style is not any different (I live 2 small town blocks from the mississippi river, plenty of experience with people having wiring issues)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby crttaz » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:10 am

Aircraft don't use solder joints...because of failure issues.

We can argue both sides til death.

As a former Car Audio installer, crimped connectors will fail in a hard impact (crash) but in general will not damage the electronics (amps/crossovers) from the impact.

As an RC racer, nice hot solder joint always wins.

Also note, gold is the crappy connector, silver wins!
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:17 am

Tigris99 wrote:I dont and wont every use any form of crimps. Either use weather proof connectors or solder and heat shrink. Any form of crimp type connectors do eventually always fail, sometimes in very bad ways. Marine style is not any different (I live 2 small town blocks from the mississippi river, plenty of experience with people having wiring issues)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Then they never learned to do it correctly.

Really all it takes is the proper gear, anybody can learn to crimp properly (fine copper strands fused gas-tight) in a few minutes without a teacher, and standard milspec pull tests will confirm their quality.

At that level solder is only a negative, adds nothing positive.

Yes quality connections can be made using solder, but very few people have the skills, takes a long time for most to get there even with a teacher many don't.

Obviously the OP system will be an exception, maybe just fine in that specific instance.

But in the more general case, the above stands.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:54 pm

John. Can you show us some actual work you have done with the methods you are advocating, some actual pics not just links to other people's methods.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Hmmm. Those are interesting connectors. I've just used the standard heat-shrink crimp connectors.

I do have to say ... I wonder a little about the animation of the solder vs. crimp debate. They both have a long and excellent history when done properly, and they both have plenty of anecdotal horror stories. IMHO, using a home-run style wiring system with heat-shrink double crimp connectors - and the correct calibrated crimping tool! - paired with proper strain reliefs is the easiest, fastest method for a high-performance wiring harness. If I use home-run wiring, so I can easily access any junction or splice, and if I use crimp connectors, so I can (usually) visually verify the condition of the connection, it's hard to justify the added hassle of soldering.

Then again, if you prefer to solder, then solder away!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets