Jumper as Power Supply Alternative

Anything electric, AC or DC

Jumper as Power Supply Alternative

Postby fornesto » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:14 pm

In my current TD, I along ago removed the battery and switched to using the 12V power outlet from a battery jumper unit like the one in the picture. I use a male/male cord into a female outlet on the trailer that taps right into my basic 12V system. I only power a couple of lights and a fan. The jumper can be charged via the cig lighter in the tow vehicle during day trips, but usually lasts a few days without any issue. It can even jump a car in a pinch. When not camping, I keep it charging on my workbench at home. My jumper is old and I have no idea what the ratings are on it.

In my remodel, I really want to avoid a traditional car battery. They are heavy, potentially dangerous, and way overkill for my needs. I don't see my total daily AH exceeding 20.

Benefits:
1. Portable
2. Can use it for other things
3. Can be charged and moved to tow vehicle
4. Can be charged/run with 110V if available, serving as a power adapter.
5. Some include air compressor

Cons:
1. Lower AH
2. Prone to theft
3. Bulky

I would appreciate any insights or opinions on this approach. If somebody has an idea what the AH is on an upper-end unit that would be great too.
Attachments
jumper.jpg
jumper.jpg (4.46 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
fornesto
Donating Member

Re: Jumper as Power Supply Alternative

Postby Aguyfromohio » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 pm

It seems like Yeti is on a branding binge and one product line is expensive lithium ion battery power packs.
The small one is 14 amp hour at 12 VDC for $200
Their biggest one is 265 amp hours at 12VDC, costs three thousand dollars and weighs 70 pounds. Several sizes and prices in between biggest and smallest.
A friend has the 1500 unit one and he likes it. They are rich with features - built in smart charger for the battery, built in AC inverter, USB outlet...

Photo of smallest

photo of biggest (wheels and handle are built right in)

Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:41 pm

My thoughts.

Battery jumpers are made for a lot of juice real quick. And that Dewalt is expensive.

I would suggest a wheelchair battery: https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-LIFGPL-U1-NP33-12BFR/dp/B00K8E8L7C/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1542233744&sr=8-7&keywords=wheelchair+battery+35a

You wouldn't have to lug it around and plug it in.

Other than dropping one on your foot, where's the danger in automotive batteries? That Dewalt has something similar in it.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:26 pm

That DeWalt is 22AH. As Tony said jump packs are for high amps in a short time for jump starting.

Didn't you say you are replacing all your lights with new LED's? You really need to know what each device power use is in watts or amps. Then figure how many hours a day it will be on. (for each device). Then total that to get a real number on what your daily AH's are. I just did this for my build and it surprised me. If you are at 20AH per day and you want a small battery you'll have to charge every day. If you want to go a few days that means a bigger battery.

Price (low)
Weight (low)
Power (high)

Pick two! If you want low price and low weight you'll have a high price.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:19 am

I only wire my tears for shore power, I don't camp enough to justify the expense and trouble of a 12V battery and system.
We do one trip a year at a state park with no power.
I also use the jump packs.
We each have a battery powered taplight over our doors on the tear ceiling, a package of AAA batteries is cheap.
We each plug our phones into a jump pack to recharge overnight, and use our phones for a fan simulator to help us sleep.
O2cool battery powered fans for any hot nights, (D cells are also cheap).
The jump packs each lasted a whole week of camping, I got them at Harbor freight with built in flashlights and USB ports.
We use propane lanterns for the galley lighting and under the awning light.

This gives us more options and uses for the money spent.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets