Solar

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:33 pm

While I am on the topic of solar, What kind of solar generator would I need to power a small fan, one led light(I have one in the camper), and maybe charge a tablet and cell phone?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Solar

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:43 pm

Dahlia, as was said earlier, there's no such thing as a solar generator. A solar panel of some sort (flexible or glass) charges, through a charge controller, a storage battery from which you draw power. How much panel capacity and how much battery depends on the size of your loads. Read the labels on your fan and LED light and tell us how much power (in mA or Watts) each consumes. Then we can help you purchase a solar panel, charge controller, and battery.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:08 pm

Yes, only a solar **panel** actually produces power for your loads.

Batteries only **store** that energy for later use.

Controller is needed in between to recharge the bank.

**This** is a generator
Honda-EU2200-starting.jpeg
Honda-EU2200-starting.jpeg (83.41 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:37 pm

I dont know why I typed solar generator . Long day. Here is what I am talking about...

https://amazon.com/Portable-Generator-I ... ms?ie=UTF8

As I was looking around, I came across this today. I am looking for something similar, but more reliable. The light bulb is 9W, The fan is a little fan. It would work whether it was a usb or plug in fan.

I read the thread I made earlier, and decided to go smaller. Seems more realistic. And less expensive. Also, not such a hassle to set up.

We are planning a couple trips. Some are in the middle of nowhere. And I would like to be able to set up anywhere. But keep it simple.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:16 pm

That little system will not provide light/fan/charging for very long, especially if it's cloudy. Remember you use all your power at night, when no sunlight is available to recharge the battery.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:53 pm

Just buy a few 80+W folding portable panels, even "blanket " style.

Get a Pelican style box for the controller, plug fittings, maybe DCDC voltage converter or a little inverter.

Size to suit **your** needs, replace / upgrade bits as needed.

**Much** better value and likely better quality.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:31 pm

I am 12v only. I have a fantastic fan, led lights and usb ports for charging. My 100ah agm battery is mounted underneath so I can clip what ever charger straight to the battery if needed. I travel with a portable 50w solar charger.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:13 am

Actually, "solar generator" is an often used term. It consists of one or more solar panels, a battery, a controller for the panels and maybe an inverter, usually in one box. A small 50 watt panel, something like a 10 amp SLA battery, a PWM controller in a small plastic toolbox gives you a very basic system for less than $100. Mine was a 100 watt, larger battery, MPPT controller, 400 watt inverter all in a $20 plastic case from wally world. It worked great.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:36 am

daveesl77 wrote:"solar generator" is an often used term
by scamming marketeers, not to be encouraged as consumers climb the learning curve

And certainly fraudulent when applied to storage only, without panels being included, designed to charge off mains and only powerful enough for screen gadgets and fan / lights for a few hours.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:42 pm

John61CT wrote:
daveesl77 wrote:"solar generator" is an often used term
by scamming marketeers, not to be encouraged as consumers climb the learning curve

And certainly fraudulent when applied to storage only, without panels being included, designed to charge off mains and only powerful enough for screen gadgets and fan / lights for a few hours.

Exactly. It's not a "solar generator" if there's no solar panels.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Dahlia47 wrote:While I am on the topic of solar, What kind of solar generator would I need to power a small fan, one led light(I have one in the camper), and maybe charge a tablet and cell phone?

Don't get discouraged with solar, it seems complicated at first and it will just click one day.

It's a little hard to recommend something when we don't know what you have for a tow vehicle, camper, and what your needs are. Sorry if you have a thread on your setup, I don't follow many of those threads.

It helps to know how much room you have in the camper and TV. It also helps to know where you live, I probably need 1/4 the panels living in Phoenix than someone in the Pacific North West. The next thing to know is do you want to only run those items while the un is out? If so, that is possible, The tablet makes it a little harder because you'll need more panels for that. But that is not very useful because you need most of those things at night. So that adds a battery to the mix to store the power that you generate during the daylight.

IMO, the link you posted are cheap and probably junk, it does too much, but not well. You can build a better system yourself and its easy and expandable. So for what you listed above, one LED, small fan that runs off USB, and charge devices (USB). I would look at something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Watt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Starter/dp/B00E7NDMC4/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1545935646&sr=8-23&keywords=renogy+kit And then add a battery. For your needs a small 35AH battery would last a few day between charge. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Max-Battery-ML35-12-Replaces/dp/B00K8E0WAG/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1545937514&sr=8-10&keywords=12v+35ah+battery This would work great for you now and you can add another panel or a bigger panel. But it is really worth taking the time to figure your power needs so you know what your real needs are. It's not hard just look on the item for the watts it needs. Most small LEDs are just a few watts. Also figure what you might add later on, bigger fan, more lights, and get a system that will hand some upgrades.

One thing to consider is you don't want to leave solar panels out in your camp when you are not around, they do get stolen often. Yetti coolers and solar panels are the big things thrifts take from campsites.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:04 am

A gas powered generator generates electricity using a gasoline motor linked to a generator/alternator.
A wind powered generator generates electricity using a wind turbine linked to a generator/alternator.
A SOLAR GENERATOR generates electricity using solar radiation powering photovoltaic cells.

The generalized term of "solar generator" has been around for decades and normally equates to a full system, as in solar panels, charge controller and some type of storage device. Often it is a portable unit. I have built several. The term is simply a means to get an idea across more easily.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets