small 2000 watt inverter generators

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: small 2000 watt inverter generators

Postby flboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:56 pm

I have the Honda 2000ui and have no regrets, but I camp with a friend that has the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator. It seems every bit as quiet to the ear as far as my hearing goes and so far very reliable. I'd buy one at near half the price of the Honda without hesitating given that I have seen first hand and compared relative noise with my own ears.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Champion will not last as long as Yamaha or Honda, and likely harder to service. Wen and other Chinese brands or generic, even more so.

Otherwise fine, and IMO the right choice if you are a DIY service type, or you think the odds are high the genny will get stolen before it wears out.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:25 pm

yycwrangler wrote: Lastly my thoughts regarding Champion is there are a lot of dealerships around should a part be needed.

Al

I would not worry about that too much, with the internet and FedX, you can get most anything from most anywhere in a few days or less. I'd expect that you could find anything you need for repair or service in one or two days depending on how fast you need it.

What I do for most anything I own like a generator or motorcycle is try to find an illustrated parts manual and keep on the computer or in garage. I can always order from Mfg.. but more often than not, just Googling the P/N gets me parts on E-bay or someplace with parts at a much better price. I often find parts sellers that have the illustrated parts list right on thier website.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:49 pm

If the generator does not have a fuel pump (as opposed to gravity fed fuel supply) I do not think you can run an auxiliary fuel tank to provide extended run times. The Honda does have a fuel pump.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 pm

John61CT wrote:Champion will not last as long as Yamaha or Honda, and likely harder to service.

Well..I gotta ask as I was planning on picking up a Champion in a few months.

What's the basis for "Champion will not last as long...and likely harder to service"?
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 pm

John61CT wrote:Champion will not last as long as Yamaha or Honda, and likely harder to service. Wen and other Chinese brands or generic, even more so.

Otherwise fine, and IMO the right choice if you are a DIY service type, or you think the odds are high the genny will get stolen before it wears out.
Is this your opinion or do you have data to support it. When you say not as long what is your number of hours that you used?

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:26 am

I can remember when anything that came out of Japan was considered junk. You would never buy a Japanese car. Boy have times changed. And it is starting to happen with China. They have figured it out. There is some high quality coming out of China and it will continue to get better. Sure there is still junk coming out of China, the steel for the most part is garbage. But when they build to specs it is just as good as anywhere else. They will also steal your intellectual property. :thumbdown:

My brother Didn't want to take his Honda on a trip because there was a good chance it might get stolen. So he went a bought a Harbor Freight generator. He loves it. Quieter than the Honda, lighter, and seems to use less gas, although he hasn't done a side by side test on fuel use. He let a buddy take it on a mission trip and it ran for a month almost 24/7. My brother is very impressed with it. Said he would never buy a Honda or Yamaha for personal use.

And I agree with above about getting parts. Places just don't stock parts anymore. I Needed a main jet for a Honda and went to 5 shops before I found one in stock. And it was at a small mom and pop type shop, the big mega dealers are a joke.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:42 pm

I just bought a Predator 3500 for hurricane use and it is quieter than my Honda EU2000i. I am going to use it some camping because I have it and want to break it in. I am very impressed with features and build quality. Reviews also indicate some high reliability. Maybe worth looking at. I picked it up for $699. So far no regrets.

You can hear it here. Lots of good reviews and info on YouTube. Just search for Predator 3500. It will run the large rooftop AC's as well for those who have them

https://youtu.be/UG8TBB3dBNo

Pics of Sound DB meter at 20ft exhaust facing.

Ambient noise

Eco Mode

Full run with 1500W load

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:36 am

I bought the WEN 2000 Watt Generator last Fall, Used it to power my "house" while I was rewiring it. Worked great, I thought it was quiet, it is listed at 51 DB. Would use about a gallon of fuel every 24 hours. I was running it almost 24/7 for a few weeks, no hiccups, cost me 485.00. It also has a 12 Volt take off and USB port.

WEN 56200i 79.7cc Gas-Powered Portable Inverter Generator, 2000-watt
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby pinkelephant » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:46 pm

yycwrangler wrote:I'm looking to buy a small generator for dry camping. We use ebikes and need to charge them daily. Also where we camp is usually a substantial amount of trees so reduces the chance of using solar.

Has anyone recently purchased one of the newer inverter generators in the 2000watt range. Obviously the Honda is king it seems but reading recent literature some of the other models are sure giving Honda a run for their money. My goal is as quiet as possible. It will of course only be run during daytime to charge bike batteries and then a small battery to power led lights etc in cargo trailer.

Current units that catch my eye are WEN 56200i, Yamaha EF2000iSv2 (although more expensive) and champion 2000-Watt Inverter Generator (not the one with the square look but still yellow with the big carry handle on top).

Any thoughts or guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Cheer
Al
Calgary

This is my plan. A propane 2200 watt generator. It can then be stored indoors and safe
Sportsman 2200 Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Generator for Sensitive Electronics
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman-220 ... /701680657
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets