anderson connectors

Anything electric, AC or DC

anderson connectors

Postby ae6black » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:24 am

I have a Renogy suitcase solar panel that has anderson connectors on it. I am planning on putting an anderson pigtail attached to my battery and just leaving it there in the battery compartment so that I can attach to the solar panel when I want to. My question, could I also tie on another set of Anderson connectors that would be used for disconnecting my battery so I don't loose so much to the residual drain of things that are constantly drawing on the battery when the trailer is sitting between trips? I mean is this feasable? I'd have two leads attached to the battery terminals with anderson connectors on it, with another anderson connection with leads going to the wiring harness of the trailer that would normally have been connectedto the battery. One of those leads would almost always be connected to complete the path from the battery to the trailer. The other would just be sitting in the battery box always connected to the battery but only used when I want to charge the battery with the solar panel. Anybody see a problem with this?

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Re: anderson connectors

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:04 am

I see no problem at all.
Sound like you are using that second set of Anderson connectors as a main power switch, unplugging rather than flipping a switch.
It'll work.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 am

Make sure you have the right crimper or you'll have trouble getting the contacts into the shell.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I used SB 175 Power Poles (over kill) and they are soldered. I made up one set, jumper cables to charge from the TV engine.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 pm

On my camper I put Powerpole connectors for my solar connections. I used green and black 45 amp housings for solar (get it green :lol: ) and instead of them being installed with both hot and ground horizontal I put them in vertical. That way someone couldn't mistaken a solar connection for a hot connection.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Benno » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:27 am

I have my solar controller near battery for least voltage drop. So I used a red Anderson for solar connection so only solar can be hooked to it.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
Benno
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greygoos » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 am

I used Atwood trolling motor battery connectors. They are marine rated which helps with corrosion and moisture. In my area they are also available at Napa, Ace and West marine. Ace was 20.00 for the set.
Attachments
atwood.jpg
atwood.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:02 pm

They make a rubber boot for the the Anderson connectors SB series that covers the contacts when not in use. Keeps debris out or anything else unwanted and they are cheap.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets