4 Flat Connector

Anything electric, AC or DC

4 Flat Connector

Postby greygoos » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 am

Looking for any thoughts on trailer connectors. Anyone have any suggestions on quality 4 flat connectors. Most of the ones that I have seen have cheap pins that snap off easily.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Re: 4 Flat Connector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:53 pm

Unfortunately it appears to be form follows function. Etrailer appears to have what is available. There are non standard alternatives i.e. Anderson Power Poles.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Wiring-sf-Trailer_Connectors-pt-Trailer_End_Connector.aspx
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 am

i have used the infamous 4-prongs for ever w/ simiar results

i keep an extra in my TV's tool kit along w/ waterproof crimp connectors a crimping tool and 3-M tape

down here virtually every auto parts Wally World and farm supply store keeps a supply of them and their co$t will not cause me to miss a meal from the $1 menu @ Mickey Dee's(i frequently find them in sets @ local flea mkts for $1/set)

when wiring a new trailer or replacing the lighting system on an older one i do allow a bit more length(a few inches) at the front for the inevitable plug replacement

the wiring most light systems come w/(if you buy a kit) doesn't lend itself well to using the larger connectors which use a set-screw to secure the actual wire in a hollow socket for each wire

many folks are trending toward LED technology (specially the sealed units for marine use) the wiring requirements are falling into the 18-20 gauge range and that stuff really doesn't play well w/ the heavier plugs

note, both of my TVs have 7/flat prong(farm & RV required) recepticles which require an adapter for my smaller trailers

i suppose if you intend to add a battery charging wire a HD plug will be on your horizon and this thread wont really matter

keep an extra set along w/ connectors & crimper on hand

check the plugs w/ each connection/dissconnection and be prepaired to make repairs when needed

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 am

I am building a new trailer, and prefer to use a 7 way on my trailer and TV. The problem I have is that the trailer usually gets used more by family than me. Most of them have 4 flat. Thank you for your suggestions, it has sent me in the right direction and I think I will place one of these in the tongue box.
Attachments
reese7.jpg
reese7.jpg (187.07 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets