High efficiency 12V fridge and circuit switch

Anything electric, AC or DC

High efficiency 12V fridge and circuit switch

Postby fishboat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:54 am

I picked up a Truckfridge tb51a recently and I'm continuing my build(I'll update a journal when I get a chance).

I'll be running the fridge off a set of 6V golf cart batts maintained by an Iota dls45/iq4 converter-charger. Though capable of running off 120V, the fridge will be run(wired) only by 12V as TF suggests switching back to 120V, when a good supply of 12V is available, is somewhat unneeded duplication(and a waste of power) as the fridge converts 120V to 12V to run anyway.

The camper has a 50A 120V service and distribution panel that runs only the AC/heater and Iota charger. There are no other 120V loads. (30A would have been plenty, but the 50A service was installed already..so..50A it is..).

All the 12V power draws will be switched and run off an individual circuit-fused 12V distribution panel. All the 12V circuits are run through a switch panel in the galley. All switches have a 20A rating. Each switch has a small red led to indicate "on".

My question:
Are there any issues with wiring the fridge circuit with a switch? The fridge comes with a 16 gauge 12V power cord. I'll cut off the round 12V cigarette-lighter plug and hardwiring the fridge to the 12V panel. The fridge comes with its own fuses installed. The fridge circuit will be WELL within a 3% voltage drop distance with the 16ga wire. The fridge can be shut off with its own control panel, but I'm thinking it might be better to have the lighted switch installed in the main panel to make it easier to see the on/off state of all power draws in one place.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Re: High efficiency 12V fridge and circuit switch

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 am

A switch in the power line to the fridge is fine.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby fishboat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:58 am

MtnDon wrote:A switch in the power line to the fridge is fine.

Thanks Don, much appreciated.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:54 am

In fact an LVC set to a higher voltage than the one built in is a good idea to preserve battery life when off-grid usage will be frequent and for many days.

And not relevant here, but in general with such an all-DC setup, only the charger needs to be wired to the shore input, all internal mains wiring can be fed from the inverter.

If an aircon unit is added, that can get its own dedicated shore connection.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fishboat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:00 pm

John61CT wrote:In fact an LVC set to a higher voltage than the one built in is a good idea to preserve battery life when off-grid usage will be frequent and for many days.

And not relevant here, but in general with such an all-DC setup, only the charger needs to be wired to the shore input, all internal mains wiring can be fed from the inverter.

If an aircon unit is added, that can get its own dedicated shore connection.

I'll be running a power-usage meter & shunt also, so I'll know where the batts are at. I have a small generator and solar is on the list down the road a bit.

I won't have an inverter..no real need for 120V other than the charger and (already installed, wired to shore power) AC/HTR. I've been camping without power of any sort for decades..so having some 12V available will be a luxury in itself.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets