I don't care--no interior switches for porch lamps (maybe)

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Ira » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:29 am

Thanks, Jack--and thanks for the homework, Coop.

I think I'll go with Jack's advice and save 2 hours of reading which I'll never remember.

But what do you think will happen if I run hot leads from both ends of the switch? That the switch will work in either up or down position, right?

I can't wait to find out!

BOOM!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby goldcoop » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:30 am

Ira wrote:Thanks, Jack--and thanks for the homework, Coop.

I think I'll go with Jack's advice and save 2 hours of reading which I'll never remember.

But what do you think will happen if I run hot leads from both ends of the switch? That the switch will work in either up or down position, right?

I can't wait to find out!

BOOM!

Ira-

Sounds right, just remember to take da pics when it goes BOOM! and you look like Butwheat :lol:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:58 pm

Ira, if you run your hot(black) to the middle, then you can run from each end to a seperate fixture, allowing you to control 2 dofferent fixtures with one switch(either one or the other on). I suppose you could run a wire from either end to the same fixture and turn it on by flipping the switch in either direction...don't know if that would go boom or not so I would not recommend it ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Boodro » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:21 pm

Ira , ya wouldn't have ta run a seperate wire to the fixture from both sides of the switch, just put a jumper from the hot wire to the other side of the switch.
That way you could turn on the 1 fixture either up or down.
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:36 pm

Boodro wrote:Ira , ya wouldn't have ta run a seperate wire to the fixture from both sides of the switch, just put a jumper from the hot wire to the other side of the switch.
That way you could turn on the 1 fixture either up or down.

..not from the hot side Boo but from either end with the hot in the middle......................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:01 am

I got a good lesson in toggle switches, but I think now I'm going with a standard switch. (Don't kill me guys, but I hope Radio Shack gives refunds.) Here's what happened today:

Everything went fine--I connected my left daisy chain wires to the panel, attached my porch lamp to the side (that was pretty easy), and fed those wires into the cabin.

Next I attached my ship wheel interior light to the wall, and started playing Ben Franklin with the electricity.

Everything's working fine, interior and exterior, but I still hadn't done the switch for the porch lamp yet. Just wanted to make sure 120 volts are going where they should.

Now, it would seem that what I just mentioned shouldn't have taken 3 hours, but it did. It is simply a BITCH working with these wires in the space that I have. STRIPPING the wires is a bitch too using just my scissors.

So I'm thinking about the toggle switch and think, if that ain't gonna have a box, why don't I just use a standard switch ANYWAY and tape it up real good? Just screw it to the wall and cover with a plate?

Easy enough decision, but because of the size and configuration of of my interior ship wheel lights, I had to move them BACK further than I intended. (Remember, my interior lights are self switched.) In other words, my wires don't come out of the wall at the exact right spot--and the light sits about 8" back from it.

I don't consider this a BIG boo boo on my part, because had I gone with a different light, this wouldn't be a problem.

So since I was tired and had to figure out a way to cosmetically make this work (hide those wires), plus do the final capping and taping of all wires, install the porch switch, and squeeze all of these wires into that little wall cavity and cover with the plate, I figured it wise to wait until tomorrow (Sunday) to finish it.

This is one thing I don't rush.

And oh:

These interior lights--I thought that when I screwed the bulb down into them, it would hold the globe in tight. Negative, and this is gonna be a problem when towing. Those globes are kind of loose, and I'll have to come up with a fix to keep them from clinking around.

Pictures tomorrow.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets