Where to buy and what brand of AGM battery?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Where to buy and what brand of AGM battery?

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:32 pm

I need a Group 24 AGM battery. I was going to buy a VMAXTANK, but their Group 24's are on backorder.

Is there another brand somebody might recommend? And where did you get it?

I was (of course) looking at those cheap Universal Battery Chinese AGMS. Does anyone have any experience with them?

HELLLLLP! :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Where to buy and what brand of AGM battery?

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:20 pm

We just replaced our 150 AH Lifeline battery after 10 years it is now powering a back up sump pump.
https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-24t/
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:We just replaced our 150 AH Lifeline battery after 10 years it is now powering a back up sump pump.
https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/marine-batteries/gpl-24t/

Where did you get it? I see it on Amazon for $329. Ouch.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Homebrewer25 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:54 am

It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:56 am

Homebrewer25 wrote:Apex battery has it for $296 + shipping.
https://www.apexbattery.com/lifeline-gpl-24t-rv-battery-rv-batteries-lifeline.html

Those kinda prices would bump me into the “why not buy lithium” world.

The VMAXTANKS -if they were available- should last 8-10 years and would be $230.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:59 pm

I do not know anything about battery's but W-M is now selling AGM battery's in their auto section - they are their own brand name being made for them by Johnson Controls and W-M is putting a 5 year 'Free' replacement warranty on them. As far as whether they are a deep cycle??? I do not know but I did see a guy buying 2 of them (about $150 each) and was in the parking lot after buying them installing them in his RV trailer - he had traveled down from Alaska to Washington to buy them. (??so I take them to be deep cycle ones??) I did look at one of them on the shelf and noticed it had a 'Made in Germany' label on it. If anyone knows anything about these = please let me know........................ :thinking: PS I did see them in group 24 sizes there.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:19 pm

but W-M is now selling AGM battery's in their auto section

G:

Thanks for the tip! That made in Germany has my attention.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby retep » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:15 pm

Hmmmm. Didn't know they were from Germany. Heading south next month and will have a look. Thank You for the tip.

Cheers Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:17 pm

retep wrote:Hmmmm. Didn't know they were from Germany. Heading south next month and will have a look. Thank You for the tip.

Cheers Peter

A little Googling tells me they are Exide batts made in India. But maybe they have something else?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby retep » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:37 pm

tony.latham wrote:
retep wrote:Hmmmm. Didn't know they were from Germany. Heading south next month and will have a look. Thank You for the tip.

Cheers Peter

A little Googling tells me they are Exide batts made in India. But maybe they have something else?

T

That is what i remember last time I looked. Worth a trip when i am in Florida as I usually walk in there anyway. My shopping keeps growing - going to be an expensive trip lol

retep
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:39 pm

Worth a trip...

I've got a trip to the big city next week. I'll give them a look-see.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:51 am

a few years back I was seeing the Exide brand being used by W-M but the last few years they have been again been made by Johnson Controls - they seem to change every few years - back and forth between brands. And yes I did see the "Made in Germany" labels on the 'AGM' battery's I had looked at. Tomorrow I will be checking them out again when I will be at W-M again. About every 6 to 7 years I have been buying their basic 'cheap' battery for the GEO/Suzuki I have been driving since 1987 (7 of them so far- most driven upwards of 300 thou miles each) and the company brand making these battery's rotates between the Johnson Control/Exide brand, back and forth - they both have held up well for me over the years..............
gudmund
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:24 am

gudmund wrote:a few years back I was seeing the Exide brand being used by W-M but the last few years they have been again been made by Johnson Controls - they seem to change every few years - back and forth between brands. And yes I did see the "Made in Germany" labels on the 'AGM' battery's I had looked at. Tomorrow I will be checking them out again when I will be at W-M again. About every 6 to 7 years I have been buying their basic 'cheap' battery for the GEO/Suzuki I have been driving since 1987 (7 of them so far- most driven upwards of 300 thou miles each) and the company brand making these battery's rotates between the Johnson Control/Exide brand, back and forth - they both have held up well for me over the years..............

Let me know. I really appreciate it. I'm three hours from the nearest Walmart.

And most days, that's a good thing.

:beer:

Tony

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:12 pm

here is what I saw at WM - 3 different sizes of the AGM battery's. Group 24 / 65 / and what looked to be a 27 sized one (which was the one that had the 'Made In Germany' label on it - did not see any 'made in' labels on the other two) All 3 were priced $150 each. All 3 had the 5 year "Free" Replacement warranty's on them. And all 3 were made by Johnson Controls. 'None' were labeled "Deep Cycle" and all looked to be automotive batteries. 159325159326159327159328159329 :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Philip » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:08 am

I picked up a Duracell group 31 1000 CCA. (I can't remember the amp hour rating) last year for my truck camper. Put it in the camper a week before a trip to Yellowstone. It was hooked up on a pair of 120 watt solar panels with a MPPT controller. The evening before we were to leave that battery died completely. Stopped at sam's club the morning we left and picked up the second battery. That one lasted threw the trip. I have had it on a charger all winter. Charger set for AGM on a 2 amp setting running in auto mode. From my travels in and out of the garage during the winter. I noticed the charger was kicking on half a dozen times during the day to keep the battery topped off. I did unhook it for about a week during the winter. During the time off charger it drop from 13.2 down to 11.8 volt.

I would suggest staying away from a Duracell.

I can't use the group 31 in my sprinter due to it being to large for the house battery location and battery box mount size. Going with a interstate in that build.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets