wiring harness

Anything electric, AC or DC

wiring harness

Postby TerryB89 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:04 pm

I bought an old 4 X 8 trailers, needs new taillights and wiring, do they make a flat 4 wiring harness I could just run to a new set of lights? or will I have to wire each light individually ? ( this build is going to be super basic and simple, no wiring for inside lights using battery operated lights on ceiling and power strip for shore power when available)
TerryB89
Teardrop Builder

Re: wiring harness

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:06 pm

Go to etrailer.com. Look at the trailer lights section.

Has lighting requirement for trailers and many kits. I would use leds. Last longer, etc. Lots of variants, etc. Generally one is thinking a less than 80" wide or more than 80" wide trailer for lighting requirements. 4 wire systems do not support brakes. Personally like more lights than less. Wire is pretty cheap as are the marker lights.

You can search Amazon for similar kits.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:11 pm

Sure, Anyplace what sells trailer parts will have "tail lamp kits". Typical it contains a "flat four" connector and 20' or so of pre-attached wiring, one "5 function tail lamp, one 4 function tail lamp and a pair of amber sidemarkers. A few fasteners and vampire type connectors.
But be prepared to be horrified as its always shitty RV grade components.
Why people pay good money for and tolerate endless messing with unreliable trailer lights having used that crap is beyond me...
Last edited by H.A. on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Squigie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:32 pm

I agree.
The 'kit' stuff is usually pretty low quality.

But it's out there. Even auto parts stores (and 'big box' stores) usually have 'extension' kits, 'repair' kits', and/or 'rewire' kits that will have a flat-4 connector (w/ short ground pigtail) on a set length of 3-wire ribbon cable.

I'll be honest. Every trailer I've ever had to repair basic lighting wiring on has used that stuff. Low quality ... but good enough for those trailers.

Be sure to look at everything that's available (within reason). About ten years ago, I needed to convert a tent trailer to 4-flat (5-round permanently spliced to 7-blade, glued into an adapter for a 6-pin rectangular, even though the trailer only needed a 4-flat), while repairing about 6 feet of splices on each side of the trailer. I nearly paid $30+ for a 4-flat 'rewire' kit (12 feet of wire), but noticed at the last minute that a 6-pin to 4-flat "adapter" harness was only $15 and had 15 feet of cable between the ends. Why so much cable, I have no idea. But I got what I needed for half the price, and still have that 6-pin connector in my pile of other adapters, connectors, and pigtails ... 'just in case'.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets