Experience with ATV wiring?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Experience with ATV wiring?

Postby NevadaBlue » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:41 pm

I have a Kubota RTV, a very nice little pickup truck in reality. It has headlights/tail lights/turns signals/ 4 way flashers. Those are added on factory options. I want to tow my little trailer to local places with this rig, as well as FAR away places with the pickup. So, I want the trailer wiring to be standard.

First, should I use the round 7 prong power cable on the trailer? Or a 4 wire one? I would really like to use the ‘charge on the run’ ability that the 7 blade socket offers.

Second, should I just buy one of the trailer adapters to put on the RTV? It seems that this is exactly the same thing as tapping into a normal pickup wiring.

Help?
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Re: Experience with ATV wiring?

Postby H.A. » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:27 pm

H.A. wrote:
First, should I use the round 7 prong power cable on the trailer? Or a 4 wire one? I would really like to use the ‘charge on the run’ ability that the 7 blade socket offers.
Leaving aside fact of 99% all RV grade flat and blade connectors are 100% crap...
I think your Kubota would be able to handle the added load of trailer lighting, especially if you use LEDs.
As far as charging, It hard to say without knowing RTV alternator specs.
Fwiw, my Kubota tractor is 20 A alternator, That's just enough to recharge its battery, operate itself and minimal lighting.
But I know RTVs are intended for additional electrics like radios and extra lights. Stands to reason it has a bigger than 20A alternator... But you need to know its specs.
Further, If your trailer uses a lead chemistry battery and its discharged to any appreciable degree, It will need literally HOURS of time connected in order to fully charge. Never mind just towing, I suspect you wont be willing to leave Kubota connected and running for that long...
Second, should I just buy one of the trailer adapters to put on the RTV? It seems that this is exactly the same thing as tapping into a normal pickup wiring.
Again leaving aside RV trailer blinker/brake converters are also 99% crap...
If Kubota uses 'Japper style turnsignals and you don't want to build your trailer to accommodate that superior system, You are pretty much stuck with using a converter.

As an aside,
If you notice 99.99% of transport trailers allways have at least 4 taillights. This gives ability to seamlessly plug into any tractor thats wired either for euro-japper or n.america tail lamp 'specs and have functional lights without converters or further stupidity.
The American RV & utility trailer business would do their consumers a great service to change to SAEJ560 wiring standards.
Sadly its an entrenched monster fueled by ignorance of the buying public.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Re: Experience with ATV wiring?

Postby NevadaBlue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks for taking the tine to help. It looks like the alternator is a 60 amp unit. I found conflicting info, but it has AC so it probably has at least the 60 amp unit.
I got wiring today and picked up a float charger for it. I have used these on rigs before and they worked well, especially in winter. I’ll be using as many LED lights as I can, probably all of them eventually. I did find a round to flat adaptor, so now I neede to decide how to proceed on that.
—-
Ken
NevadaBlue
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets