Does this battery look OK?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Does this battery look OK?

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:27 am

Gets good reviews. My set up will be straightforward. Not sure about solar but for now, plug in to onshore power, recharge battery - basic stuff. If I could get a couple of nights to begin with, that'd be great. Looking for recommendations for a solid, simple battery charger too, and would welcome any pointers. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmaxslr125-rechargeable-Solar-Inverters/dp/B00ACNO2AO/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP3yBRCkARIsAABGiPrODmGN_GZFS6zgsWaS7V5OK5ZhPQKM1kIujZ-Exnk-RS8KTAHMgWwaAh7EEALw_wcB&hvadid=182723154675&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1027360&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9078824252576480843&hvtargid=kwd-30701459935&hydadcr=24629_9648897&keywords=125ah+deep+cycle+battery&qid=1583337712&sr=8-1#customerReviews
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Re: Does this battery look OK?

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:04 pm

Batteries are "good" if they can provide the appropriate load.

First, an lead acid battery should be discharged only about 50%, so you have 60 AH available between charges.

Second, there is no such animal as basic. Everyone is different. So you need to do the math. Compute your AH/day for the devices you think you will use. For each device you need the amp draw of the item. Some are easy eg LED light. Watts divided by 12V yields Amps. Some are variable eg multi-speed fans. Some have duty cycles -- so when on, run for while then go idle, repeat eg refrigerators 50% or less.

Then multiple by hours of expected usage. Fans might run the entire time you are in the TD. Lights only a few hours eg early morning; just before bed; reading time; cooking; porch lights. Refrigerators run all the time. You might have heaters in the cooler months.

There are lots of DC devices: lights, fans, refrigerators, inverters, water pumps, water heaters, tv, radio, speakers, heaters, charging stations, CO/CO2/?? monitors, sleeping pads, sleeping blankets, wifi, cell antenna, light strips. Depends on you wallet and how glamp you wish to go. And some variability in even for lights - incandescent vs LED vs high wattage LED.

It might be useful break the computation into parts like evening - overnight usage (eu), typical daytime usage (du), rainy day usage (ru) and any special activities that burn lots of power eg card night. That way you can estimate better. A two night stay might be 2 * eu + 1 * du.

BTW you can look into charging while driving. Very useful if you expect to move a lot during your trip.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:12 pm

DoctahDeane wrote:Gets good reviews. My set up will be straightforward. Not sure about solar but for now, plug in to onshore power, recharge battery - basic stuff. If I could get a couple of nights to begin with, that'd be great. Looking for recommendations for a solid, simple battery charger too, and would welcome any pointers. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vmaxslr125-rechargeable-Solar-Inverters/dp/B00ACNO2AO/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwP3yBRCkARIsAABGiPrODmGN_GZFS6zgsWaS7V5OK5ZhPQKM1kIujZ-Exnk-RS8KTAHMgWwaAh7EEALw_wcB&hvadid=182723154675&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1027360&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9078824252576480843&hvtargid=kwd-30701459935&hydadcr=24629_9648897&keywords=125ah+deep+cycle+battery&qid=1583337712&sr=8-1#customerReviews

That’s more than enough battery for phone charging, LED lights and a fan. But the question is, what else will you be using it for?

Make sure the charger you get can be set for AGM.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Seriously overpriced!

You should be able to find a similar 100+AH 12 VDC deep-cycle AGM battery for half that price!
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:28 pm

Top quality AGM made in North America:
Lifeline
Northstar, and
Odyssey

You are always better off buying locally if possible, lead is just too heavy shipping costs must be eliminated AMAP.

Call the manufacturers and ask for sources nearby, good deep cycle batts are rarely sold through consumer retail channels.

But unless you really **need** AGM, FLA is even better value

Rolls/Surette, Trojan, Deka/EPM, U.S. Battery, Crown and Superior all making fine examples.

______
The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club.

NAPA relabels them also, e.g. here: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8144

Deka self-labeled also sold at Lowes.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:29 pm

oops dupe
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your time and knowledge. Much appreciated. OK the search is on. First, get tire upgrade squared away, then at least I can take it places nd use candles :-) Then, redo the electrical. Maybe 20-800 hours left. Thanks again, great forum and nice people.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your time and knowledge. Much appreciated. OK the search is on. First, get tire upgrade squared away, then at least I can take it places and use candles :lol: Then, redo the electrical. Maybe 20-800 hours left. Thanks again, great forum and nice people.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:51 am

You should be able to find a similar 100+AH 12 VDC deep-cycle AGM battery for half that price!

I dithered for days, weeks, and months over which battery to buy for my new build. In the end, I chose a Group 24 from Vmax. It was about the same expense as buying one from a local tire/battery place for a branded battery that was made by who-knows? I almost pulled the plug on a cheaper Chinese battery. Of all the battery manufacturers, Vmax has one of the top reputations.

Ask me in six or eight years how it did. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:20 am

tony.latham wrote:

I dithered for days, weeks, and months over which battery to buy for my new build. In the end, I chose a Group 24 from Vmax. It was about the same expense as buying one from a local tire/battery place for a branded battery that was made by who-knows? I almost pulled the plug on a cheaper Chinese battery. Of all the battery manufacturers, Vmax has one of the top reputations.

Ask me in six or eight years how it did. :frightened:

Tony

OK putting it on my calendar, thanks Tony. Just bought your book, FYI.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:47 pm

I had this battery in my teardrop, had problems with is holding a charge and didn't know if it was the battery or my DC to DC charger. The big draw on the battery was the 12v fridge/freezer. I decided to move it into the jeep where the temps won't be so hot. My tongue box can get over 130 degree in the summer. Well long story long, ended up being a bad battery. Had to send it back at my expense for a claim. They were good about it and sent out a new one. That one has been running great since I got it. VMAX is a premium brand, and would get one again if I was going with AGM. But if right now if I was doing is again I would go lithium.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:51 pm

But if right now if I was doing is again I would go lithium.

Todd:

Knowing you, I woulda bet a beer on that fact. Maybe two.

:beer:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:28 pm

tony.latham wrote:
But if right now if I was doing is again I would go lithium.

Tony - I got your book and though I have other build guides, this looks really useful as well. Right now, I'm trying to finish off the electrical and I really like the dashboard you have shown in photos.

Can you recommend a multimeter or source and also wondering how that gets wired in to the overall setup? Does it just run to the fuse box or does it need direct connect to battery? I like the Adventurer Solar Controller, too. Gonna check that out on line (or whatever is out there now).
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:32 pm

Can you recommend a multimeter or source and also wondering how that gets wired in to the overall setup? Does it just run to the fuse box or does it need direct connect to battery?

Doc:

I used this meter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has to be wired with the main negative wire run through the included shunt. I did it as in this bottom diagram:

I like the meter but you should also look at this one: (Thanks to Bill Osborn)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTKYFTG/?coliid=I301972QUD0GSE&colid=3DIEP78B3UWPM&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I do hope my book helps. If you wouldn't mind giving it an honest review on the big A, I'd greatly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:30 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Can you recommend a multimeter or source and also wondering how that gets wired in to the overall setup? Does it just run to the fuse box or does it need direct connect to battery?

I do hope my book helps. If you wouldn't mind giving it an honest review on the big A, I'd greatly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Tony

Definitely will do that, thanks for the reminder. I have a book out there and always forget to ask but it makes a difference of course. One last question and your most recent answer gave me the right terminology - "shunt" - so this is the thing that hangs of the battery post to allow attachment of items, I assume with a nut to hold them all down and the charger clips just go to the terminal posts directly, correct? If so, guess I just search for "battery terminal shunt"....Thanks for your quick reply, Tony and for the assistance. Things are really coming together quickly now and the funny thing is that it's given me new enthusiasm to finish my original build. My wife patted me on the back when I told her that and said "you just do whatever you need to do, honey." I think she was humoring me?
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets