Cordless Tool Battery Hack

Anything electric, AC or DC

Cordless Tool Battery Hack

Postby Jerry Bleeg » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:04 pm

Sorry if this has been done before, but I could not seem to find if this subject has been discussed before.

Has anyone figured a way to use cordless tool batteries to power a teardrop. I am thinking of using Lithium Batteries from a cordless 18 volt tool and a hacked charging dock to power my next teardrop build.
I know most LED lights can take 18 volts, but not sure if a 12 volt Fantasitc Fan would be OK to be powered by a 18 volt battery input(or how to step down the current). I am not a electrical guy, but would like input from the smart guys here on the forum.

I was thinking batteries from Ryobi, Dewalt, Milwaukee or even some of the cheap Dril Master stuff from Harbor Freight might be good donors. I figure a couple - three batteries might get me thru a long weekend, go home and recharge for he next trip.

My electrical needs are small. No Fridge, No Microwave, No AC.
Jerry
Jerry Bleeg
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Cordless Tool Battery Hack

Postby John61CT » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:15 pm

Yes plenty of HowTo's out there.

3D print the "socket" they plug into.

Most sell 12V DC chargers as well as shore power ones, not interchangeable. Ryobi One+ has long term design stability, others chop and change too often.

Or just cannibalize for the 18650 / 26650 cells and make your own custom shape for higher density, standard LI/NMC chemistry at 3.7V nominal, good for 19V or 24V, not 12V so much.

But lots more fire-risky than LFP, 4x 20A would be totally straightforward maybe $200 max
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dogcatcher » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:30 pm

It is pretty easy to build a battery pack. But an easier way is to find some place that builds them, our Interstate Battery Service Center will build what ever I can dream up and get the connectors so that I can charge in place or remove and charge. You need to know the amp hours you want and the voltage.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm

Wut?

Interstate does not deal in batteries suitable for true deep cycling, at all.

They just slap labels on batteries made by real manufacturers, usually Johnson, JCI, meh.

This thread is about lithium batteries, not lead, so even if your statement were true it is not relevant.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri May 01, 2020 5:15 am

John61CT wrote:Wut?

They just slap labels on batteries made by real manufacturers, usually Johnson, JCI, meh.

This thread is about lithium batteries, not lead, so even if your statement were true it is not relevant.

What? Our local store has deep cycle batteries and re-build's lithium packs.. The local Batteries Plus does the same.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Fri May 01, 2020 5:20 am

Before I retired I used to collect the lithium batteries the guys turned in as 'dead'. Typically a cell went bad or wiring failed. Now it's much easier to build up a battery with all the holders and connecters available. If you can get them for free, then it's well worth building one up. Several very good instructionals out there (it's not as simple as just connecting several batteries).
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 am

RJ Howell wrote:

What? Our local store has deep cycle batteries and re-build's lithium packs.. The local Batteries Plus does the same.
I'll have to check them out wrt the lithium. So spotwelding packs from 18650's 26650 etc?

Or the big prismatics like Sinopoly CALB etc?

Still stand by wrt lead and Interstate, only a few manufacturers make good deep cycling pfoducts, nothing to do with automotive or consumer channels.

B+ does resell Duracell FLAs from Deka, those are best value for money on the planet.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Fri May 01, 2020 4:10 pm

I get through a weekend on a few ryobi 18v batteries. I have two of their led lanterns that include a usb charging port. I have their fan. So no need to even use the house lights and I dont have a ceiling exhaust fan.

I do also have their forced air propane cannon heater for heating a hot tent in cold weather. 1# bottle lasts about 90 min. One battery for two bottles. 10 minutes in the tent takes it from 30F to 70F.

I do have their 12v socket charger to recharge the batteries from the truck if it comes to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby dogcatcher » Fri May 01, 2020 10:05 pm

Our dealer will build a replacement drill battery, one for the smart phones, or any kind of specialty rechargeable battery set up. This isn't the local pickup and car battery dealer, it is a service center.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Postby edgeau » Sun May 10, 2020 6:23 am

WRT stepdown, a 12v fan will work for a while on 18v and then "let the smoke out' i.e. fail via meltdown. I have a couple of 5v fans I run happily via cheap DC to DC converters I found on eBay. I was going to make them but they were three for $10. I couldn't even source the parts for that price!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:26 pm

edgeau wrote:WRT stepdown, a 12v fan will work for a while on 18v and then "let the smoke out' i.e. fail via meltdown. I have a couple of 5v fans I run happily via cheap DC to DC converters I found on eBay. I was going to make them but they were three for $10. I couldn't even source the parts for that price!

I'd be interested in a link to those converters you've used, especially if they worked with a fan without a fan starting making a high pitch sound..
OP827
Donating Member

Postby edgeau » Tue May 12, 2020 7:55 pm

OP827 wrote:
I'd be interested in a link to those converters you've used, especially if they worked with a fan without a fan starting making a high pitch sound..

The price has changed now but these are the ones. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/362561437676

edgeau
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets