Water pump switch wiring - not shutting off

Anything electric, AC or DC

Water pump switch wiring - not shutting off

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue May 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Hi folks - I apologize in advance, I'm afraid this is a pretty basic question. I have a small water pump - two wires and a separate switch - very similar to what others have used here - with three leads off the back: two silver, one brass. I assumed that brass was ground. Wired both grounds up to fuse box fine. My mistake might be that I wired the power cable from the pump plus BOTH silver switch leads to the same post in the fuse box. Pump works fine but switch will not shut it off. I know this is basic electricity stuff. Now I'm thinking that perhaps each silver lead ought to have it's own fused post in the fuse box?

I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Re: Water pump switch wiring - not shutting off

Postby MtnDon » Tue May 26, 2020 2:41 pm

One of the connections on the switch may be for an indicator led in the switch.
Does the pump just have two wires?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue May 26, 2020 4:04 pm

MtnDon wrote:One of the connections on the switch may be for an indicator led in the switch.
Does the pump just have two wires?

Yes the pump just has two wires and yes, that was my initial thought - that one of the "power" leads on the switch is for the little blue LED. Assuming that is so, would the power lead from the pump and these two from the switch all go to the same fusebox screw/post?
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Tue May 26, 2020 4:25 pm

This guy figured it out - yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2bwdEmzP8Q
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Return to Electrical Secrets