Solar Top Off Estimates

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Solar Top Off Estimates

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:36 am

bdosborn wrote:Post a picture of the cable end on the solar panel that you'd connect to the battery and then we can figure it out...

Howdy Bruce - solar suitcase arrived an hour ago. In concept, it's nice but thought you'd get a kick out of the packaging. Oh, by the way? This did not protect for shipping: hinges falling off, solar controller loose, yada yada. Going back tomorrow :lol:

But as far as the connections go and my original question - the cables that come off the panel are standard and snap into the cable that you guys pointed me to very nicely. That cable has the waterproof "port" that will sit on the outside of the trailer - all good. I just need to drill a hole for that port cable. Now, THAT cable ends in wire strand that I will add terminal connects to and then easy to connect to battery posts but shouldn't there be a fuse in line here at some point? And if the answer is yes, would greatly appreciate any pointer to an acceptable solution. I'm assuming what I would want if the answer is "yes" is an inline 30A fuse that would butt connect to the stranded wire and then from there to the battery posts.

Of course, if there is not a fuse required then heck, I'm good to go, assuming the reshipment of this panel is packaged better.

I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:06 am

I just added a SAE port for the fridge on my trailer, the cigarette lighter plug was always coming loose and causing a voltage error on the fridge. Plus I needed to cover up the hole I punched in the tongue box from jacknifing the trailer too far. :x Pay attention to polarity with the SAE plugs, it's easy to get it reversed...

You can use the fuse terminal I linked to earlier, I like to get the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Or you can just use an in line fuse, there's plenty of them on Amazon. A 20A fuse is the right size for #12 wire.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:20 am

bdosborn wrote:I just added a SAE port for the fridge on my trailer, the cigarette lighter plug was always coming loose and causing a voltage error on the fridge. Plus I needed to cover up the hole I punched in the tongue box from jacknifing the trailer too far. :x Pay attention to polarity with the SAE plugs, it's easy to get it reversed...

You can use the fuse terminal I linked to earlier, I like to get the fuse as close to the battery as possible. Or you can just use an in line fuse, there's plenty of them on Amazon. A 20A fuse is the right size for #12 wire.

Bruce

OK thanks, the one you pointed me to does not come with a fuse terminal so i'll just get one. the wire is 10GA, FYI. Thanks for the help!
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 am

When choosing a fuse, you need to pick one that is sized for the smallest wire you'll be using. While the plug and wire you bought is a #10, the PV sysem you buy won't have anything bigger than a #12 (probably smaller) so that's why I went with a 20A. If all the wire was #10 then a 30A fuse would be appropriate. I'm not sure what you mean by fuse terminal, a ring terminal is what you'll need to land on the battery terminal, whether you use an inline fuse or the battery terminal fuse.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 am

bdosborn wrote:When choosing a fuse, you need to pick one that is sized for the smallest wire you'll be using. While the plug and wire you bought is a #10, the PV sysem you buy won't have anything bigger than a #12 (probably smaller) so that's why I went with a 20A. If all the wire was #10 then a 30A fuse would be appropriate. I'm not sure what you mean by fuse terminal, a ring terminal is what you'll need to land on the battery terminal, whether you use an inline fuse or the battery terminal fuse.

Bruce

OK, good, thanks. Actually I was referencing your use of "fuse terminal" in the message just before. It's cool though, I understand. Get a 20A inline fuse and keep it close to the battery. Thanks again.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:23 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:56 pm

bdosborn wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And hopefully they ship the replacement panel in a complete cardboard box this time. At least the UPS guy and I had a laugh. Thank you again.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:42 am

tony.latham wrote:
That's why I was thinking portable/suitcase version.

That's what I meant. A suitcase solar system you'd plug into your camper's pigtail.

Now... if it were me, I'd think about an external connector on the cabin that you'd plug your portable panels into.

With our old teardrop, I had one of these on the front of the tongue box:

https://www.amazon.com/Perko-1190DP0CHR-Marine-Watertight-Connection/dp/B00144B67C/ref=asc_df_B00144B67C/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241946017885&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7237606993130404169&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029516&hvtargid=pla-571845013358&psc=1

That was connected to the $40 controller in the box. It worked great.

Tony

Hey Tony - My suitcase panel just arrived. The first one came from Amazon all beat up, this one I got from Renogy direct. Already working great. I have it attached to battery with clips right now, tomorrow, I'll put the port in and permanaent cables to the battery. Do you think its safe to assume that this panel will shut down when battery is topped off? The literature that comes with it does not say, specifically. I can ask Renogy, of course, but the response time here is generally much better. Hope all is well.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:33 am

Do you think its safe to assume that this panel will shut down when battery is topped off?

If it came with a controller, it will. (If it doesn't it needs one.)

If the controller has an LCD and tells you watt or amp production, it'll taper off as the battery nears a full charge. .

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:39 am

tony.latham wrote:
Do you think its safe to assume that this panel will shut down when battery is topped off?

If it came with a controller, it will. (If it doesn't it needs one.)

If the controller has an LCD and tells you watt or amp production, it'll taper off as the battery nears a full charge. .

Tony

OK great. Has a 20A waterproof controller. I feel like I'm stealing this free power. Thanks for the quick reply.
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets