Solar Panel Size/Weight

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar Panel Size/Weight

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:42 am

Before I get too far down this road, thought I'd solicit some feedback. Thanks, in advance. Getting ready to add portable solar with a panel on a cable. NOT attached to the roof, tongue box or anything like that. If I were doing this from scratch, I'd build solar in. Anyway, I'm clear about battery, controller, cables - all of that. I decided that a ;little more horsepower would be good, so I opted for the Renogy 160W panel which arrived yesterday. Wow, it's kind of big, and not light. So that raises two questions. I've read mixed reviews of flexible panels - any superstar products out there in the 150-200w range? Any advantages with the suitcase setups?

Question 2 is sort of related - where to store the panel while traveling? At this time I have a Honda CRV. Might have it another year, maybe two. In this case, the most likely place to put the panel is inside the trailer on the bed. Was hoping to keep that clear most of the time. Anyway, I guess this is sort of leading to the obvious - get a pickup - answer.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Re: Solar Panel Size/Weight

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 pm

That must be huge...

Here's my sis muddling in her galley on Saturday. That's a Renogy 100 watt folder with controller.

It's tiny when folded, produces more power than they need, and fits fine folded up in their CRV.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DoctahDeane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm

tony.latham wrote:That must be huge...

Here's my sis muddling in her galley on Saturday. That's a Renogy 100 watt folder with controller.

It's tiny when folded, produces more power than they need, and fits fine folded up in their CRV.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony

Well I sure am keeping UPS busy. Yes, I was headed down this road at one point and I guess I got sidetracked with "more is better" and that extra 60 watts was the culprit. Anyway, I see this suitcase version on Amazon with controller and it's 50-60 bucks cheaper than what I have now. So, return all that stuff and get something simpler. I'm all for that though I have to say, I was kind of excited about the Bluetooth model and app so I could look at progress on my phone. Why, when it'll be sitting near me, anyway? Just because it's cool, I guess. Anyway, once again thanks for sending me in the right direction. Thanks once again, Tony.
I keep stimulants handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. W.C.Fields
DoctahDeane
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:18 pm

I have to say, I was kind of excited about the Bluetooth model and app...

I think the controller for the folder can accept the Bluetooth communicator.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets