Reliable 2k Inverter Generator

Anything electric, AC or DC

Reliable 2k Inverter Generator

Postby slammer67 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:48 pm

This week I decided it was time to invest in an inverter generator. I bought the Westinghouse igen 2200on Amazon for about $500, as it had good reviews and seemed to be the right size for what I needed.
Well, I received it this week, just to find out it was defective - took forever to get started and would not run for long after it finally started. Anyway, while I'm fiddling with it, the wife calls Amazon and they told her that there were a few of these returned recently with the same issues, so they did a return on it with no hassle.

So know I'm a little gun shy to order another one - this genny had very good reviews, but when I looked closer at the reviews, there were many returns on the units. When I look on Amazon, most all of the generators in the 2k-2200 watt range have 4.5 stars, but I'm wondering if they are really that good. I know I should just get a honda or yamaha, but $1k plus for a genny seems a bit much for me.

I would like to know what you all have that you would consider a reliable generator in the $500 range.
slammer67
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Reliable 2k Inverter Generator

Postby saltydawg » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:07 pm

There is a thread down a few from this about inverter gens. The westinghouse IIRC is a rebadged cummings.

The wen most people think is a rebadged HF predator, both have very good reviews. The ryobi has pretty good reviews as well

I am going to point you to a really long thread about budget gens, read the last few pages or all of em. Its on a gun and right leaning web site so if your anti gun dont read anything else besides this thread.

https://tinylink.net/rwCkF
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:13 pm

slammer67 wrote:I know I should just get a honda or yamaha

yes, if reliability past a few dozen runtime hours is important

Every other brand is rebadged cheap chinese without even 5% of the original high quality engineering and design plus the QA oversight processes those top two have invested in.

Even if they were all made in the same Shenzhen factory, those latter factors makes all the difference in the world.

Robin-Subaru was another, but I believe owner Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd shut down the small genset biz 3-4 years ago.

If you only go out a few weekends a year, go with Champion from Costco.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby slammer67 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Thank you for the input

saltydawg: that link has alot of info, thanks. I'm still weeding through it.

I saw a 2k ipower gen at Costco powered by a yamaha engine that looks interesting.

https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powered ... 53776.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
slammer67
Teardrop Inspector

Postby saltydawg » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:12 pm

John61CT wrote:yes, if reliability past a few dozen runtime hours is important

Every other brand is rebadged cheap chinese without even 5% of the original high quality engineering and design plus the QA oversight processes those top two have invested in.

Even if they were all made in the same Shenzhen factory, those latter factors makes all the difference in the world.

Robin-Subaru was another, but I believe owner Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd shut down the small genset biz 3-4 years ago.

If you only go out a few weekends a year, go with Champion from Costco.

BS, do a little research. the champion is chinese as well. But it is a good generator with some options that the cheaper ones dont have, but you pay more for those options.

Go look at the rv forums, the HF 3500 predator is one of the highest rated gens out there, it quieter than the honda and makes more power.

The HF 2200 is also ran alot in in the rv community, and used a lot in the prepper world. I know of quite a few people with hundreds of hours on the HF 2200. The Wen is probably a HF rebranded but has a longer warranty than a honda. You can buy 2 2200 hf gens with extended warranties for cheaper than 1 honda 2000 with a now longer warranty.

Do you trust consumer reports. they tested both rated the honda 2000 slightly better than the HF 2000 but its half the price.
https://www.consumerreports.org/inverte ... generator/
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:28 pm

The Harbor Frieght one is not repairable. if you buy the extended warranty, and it fails within warranty, they will simply replace it with a new one. But.... the store here in So. Oregon is quoting 6-10 weeks for a replacement because they are back ordered, and warranty replacements go at the end of the list.

Keep that in mind if you want a cheap generator.

Personally, I don't want to travel with a generator, I use solar, but...
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:20 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:The Harbor Frieght one is not repairable.

Well it is repairable, anything is. HF probably decided in the long run its easier and cheaper to replace.

And as far as I know you walk in and its broke and if they have one in stock they just hand it to you. At least thats what I have heard, I have never killed a HF generator. My work we have killed a few hammer drills and they just replace those on the spot.

This said I will probably be buying a Wen when its time.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:35 am

I got one from Walmart called PowerIT! 2k inverter genset clone and it worked during camping season and so far it has about total of 20 hours with no issues.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby philpom » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:35 pm

I recently bought the iGEN 2200 from Sams for $300 and while I have only about 20 hours on it it's been solid, very easy to start etc. Bummer you got a defective one, I am happy with it. If I didn't find that deal I would have probably gone with the HF option.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:04 pm

I vote for hf 2000 watt, had for three years, a couple hundred of hours on it. It is rare that it takes a second pull to start, very pleased with it
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:19 pm

saltydawg wrote:
GuitarPhotog wrote:The Harbor Frieght one is not repairable.

Well it is repairable, anything is. HF probably decided in the long run its easier and cheaper to replace.

And as far as I know you walk in and its broke and if they have one in stock they just hand it to you. At least thats what I have heard, I have never killed a HF generator. My work we have killed a few hammer drills and they just replace those on the spot.

This said I will probably be buying a Wen when its time.

Being able to repair things generally requires replacement parts for damaged, worn-out, or broken parts. HF will not sell parts, nor repair manuals, for their generators. That's true for a lot of their products. I purchased a dust collector, and received a manual with it with an exploded parts diagram and parts list. When I tried to order a replacement part, even with the part number, I was told that HF does not sell repair/replacement parts.
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:23 pm

So how many need parts? My experience is if it is fully functional when new, probably will run for a reasonable amount of time unless a major failure. Half of the price I choose to roll the dice. If it were mission critical I might choose differently or buy two,
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby slammer67 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Thank you all for the input.
I tried to grab the hf 2000, but the hf I went to was out, they had the 3500, but I thought it might be a little big to lug around and store in a teardrop (when I finally build one)
We ended up getting costco one -
https://www.costco.com/a-ipower-powered ... 53776.html

I hope it will work out.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8705F using Tapatalk
slammer67
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets