My over complicated electric system

Anything electric, AC or DC

My over complicated electric system

Postby saltydawg » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:43 pm

First this is going to be a multi part thread. First, this part is the 120 volt side.

I have a plug on the out side to plug a cord into for shore power. This then runs direct to an outlet behind the power wall, I keep the battery charger plugged into this outlet. This outlet only does the battery charger and a small 12 volt wall wart. From the dedicated charger/wall wart outlet it goes to the transfer switch, the inverter also runs to this transfer switch, so I can select the source of power for the 120 outlet on the power wall, by the bed, and in the pantry. The wall wart provides 12 volts power to the led on the transfer switch, it gives me a visual indication that I have shore power. There is another wall wart plugged into the inverter that powers another led on the transfer switch, it indicates when the inverter is on. I have a remote switch on the inverter, so I can easily turn it on.

So when I plug in to shore power the charger automatically comes on, as well as lights an led. When I turn the inverter on it lights the led on the transfer switch, if both the inverter and shore power is on I can select which source the other outlets run on even when both sources are providing 120 volts, as well as the switch has a center off, so I can turn off all 120 volt except the charger outlet but I have a switch that can shut it off. Connected to the output of the transfer switch is a small 100 cfm 120 volt fan that sucks air out from behind the power wall to help keep the charger and the inverter from over heating behind the power wall. so Any time I have power, be it shore or inverter the fan runs.

This part is pretty simple.
Last edited by saltydawg on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: My over complicated electric system

Postby saltydawg » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:07 pm

My 12 volt system I think is simple too, but way over kill and over thought out.

I will start with 2 60 amp hours of lifepo4 batteries, for a total of 120 amp hours. Each battery has a 50 amp anderson connector attached with number 8 wire, so I have easy disconnection and removal of each battery. The anderson connectors go to a 100 amp fuse block that runs to the inverter with a number 4 wire, then another number 8 wire runs to the distribution fuse block.Normally you would want another fuse to protect the 8 wire to the fuse box, but sense the lithium battery are internally protected by the bms any short over 100 amps will both blow the main fuse and the bms would will down the batteries. The 100 amp main fuse is kind of redundant due to the bms, but better safe than sorry.

The charger is a victron charger with blue tooth.

The grounds for the batteries go to one side of the power monitor shunt, the other side of the shunt goes to the number 4 to the inverter, and a number 8 to the ground block on the fuse box.

The fuse box is a 12 circuit block, the fuses are listed below.
first fuse in all the lights, being that they are all led, the max load when they are all on is less than 2 amps. that inside and outside lights
second fuse is 12v and usb power points
then a fuse for fans, both interior comfort fan and exhaust fan
next is a fuse for the radio
next will be for a tv at some point
a fuse for the water pump
a fuse for when i do the water heater based heat
a fuse for the lift jacks for the rear hatch
a fuse the battery charger, and another will be for the solar charger
a fuse for the positive power for the battery monitor
lastly a fuse for the battery heaters, use I will have a 12 watt 12 volt heater on each battery. Sense lifepo4 cant be charged when below freezing I can turn on the battery heaters, as long as the batteries have say 2 or 3 amp hours left I will be able to warm them and then charge them. ( not much of an issue as the batteries are inside but the heaters cost 20 bucks total so why not)

The lights, fans, water pump, heat, battery heat, power points, and tv all have a master switch in a 8 switch bank to turn them off.

At the back door is 4 switch bank that has a switch for the inside lights, out side lights ( which are low wattage yellow leds ), then a brighter white kitchen light, then a exhaust fan that will suck air out of the cabin.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets