renogy suit case solar connect to zamp pluc

Anything electric, AC or DC

renogy suit case solar connect to zamp pluc

Postby davidreidok » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:26 am

is the link below the unit I need from amazon to connect my new renogy suitcase solar kit to my existing little guy 5 wide zamp connector ?

thanks for the help

https://www.amazon.com/Tecmate-Optimate ... r=8-1&th=1

dave
davidreidok
Teardrop Builder

Re: renogy suit case solar connect to zamp pluc

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Do not have either the controller or the trailer.

Most solar panel systems use mc4 connectors. I would assume the suit case panel is delivered this way.

The zamp controller has a screw connection. The connector has a max wire size zamp connector is 6awg, more typically 8 or 10 awg. The picture I can see do not detail the actual battery/solar connections. It might take a wire lug type connector ( u-type or ring type). Just to be specific, this is NOT the same connection as the pictured polarized connector.

I am not sure which you are connecting to (a) a solar panel or the (b) battery. The controller only allow one connection to a solar panel and only one connection to the battery. They are the same as referenced about. You would have to splice your connect to an external solar panel in with the built in one. You could make them connectable at the same time if they are matched in voltage and do not exceed the max amperage.

A polarized 12VDC connector might work. And there are mc4 to polarized connector cables for transitioning.

Really need to see both connections.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Lumpy Waters » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:40 pm

The Zamp connector is rumored to be a standard SAE 2 way connector with the polarity reversed. The connector you linked to should work. You'll need to adapt the Renogy MC4 cable to SAE as well.

I installed a standard polarity SAE connector on my camper and adapted a Renogy panel MC4 connector to SAE. The MC4 to SAE adapter that I purchased also came with SAE polarity changers. It was similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-10AWG-Female-Adapter-Conector/dp/B07T5Y2HQZ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2Y9H7EZVGXTQO&dchild=1&keywords=sae+to+mc4&qid=1608838428&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=sae+to+%2Clawngarden%2C220&sr=1-4
Lumpy Waters
Teardrop Inspector

Postby davidreidok » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:36 am

I purchased the converters from amazon as recommended.
davidreidok
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets