dew alt 20volt batteries for 12 volt usage

Anything electric, AC or DC

dew alt 20volt batteries for 12 volt usage

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:06 pm

does anyone know if I can use my 20 volt DeWalt batteries to power 12 volt appliances in my trailer. Mostly looking at led lights and low voltage things. I see an adapter than can be purchased but all it is, is a unit that you connect your 20 volt batteries to and have 2 wires running out of it. (see below). What about using an invertor

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/7525603 ... MgQAvD_BwE

cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: dew alt 20volt batteries for 12 volt usage

Postby dogcatcher » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:26 pm

The electronic guys make step up and step down converters in all kinds of voltage. I power a 12 volt light with a 6 volt battery on my bicycle. On my wife's bike lights, her is 3 volt light powered by a 6 volt battery. Another person I know powers his 12 colt light with a 18 volt battery pack. I would start at Amazon with a search for 18v to 12v step down converter. But you might find them cheaper else where, but Amazon would be my choice.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Re: dew alt 20volt batteries for 12 volt usage

Postby wannabefree » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:32 pm

OK, what you need is a means to convert that 20V battery down to 12V and do it efficiently. The device that does that is called a buck converter, and you can get one here: https://www.mpja.com/5A-Buck-Converter- ... /34736+PS/, which conveniently has V and A meters and a knob to set the voltage. No soldering required; doesn't get much better. Efficiency will be around 90% or better.
When you say appliances, what exactly do you mean? LED lighting will do fine, but that 12V trucker's coffee pot will drain your battery in a minute. Your Dewalt battery can probably deliver about 2A for 15 minutes, then it will be done until you can recharge. Remember, these things are designed for intermittent use at high loads, like a drill, or constant use under low loads, like a flashlight. If you are trying to save money, you would be better off springing for a 35Ah AGM battery and a 3A charger which you can get for around $80.
PM me if you have specific questions. I'm an electrical engineer and can probably steer you in the right direction once I understand what your needs are.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets