Trailer light problem.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Trailer light problem.

Postby zapj » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:46 pm

My home built Weekender will be 11years old this July. About 4 months ago I noticed when using turn signals while headlights are on will cause a dim blinking on the opposite side the turn indicator. Figuring a grounding problem I have checked every splice and installed quick splice connectors in place of the twisted wire and tape method. At the time of building I used a common white ground for all lights so each one would not have its separate ground eliminating the problem I'm currently having. I have went through the whole system from the 4 pin plug to the furthest light. I hoping someone can give me an idea as to what else to check on a system that has been reliable for 10 years. Oh yes, I pulled the bulbs out of the stop/turn fixtures and cleaned the sockets but have not done the same for the side clearance lights.

Thanks
zapj
Donating Member

Re: Trailer light problem.

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:29 pm

Do you have a 4 to 3 wire converter?

Other wise I would also guess the ground, check the tv side.Take a jumper wire from the trailer wiring to the tv, to eliminate the ground connections with the wiring harness and 4 wire plug. If this stops it your not getting a good ground from the triler ground to the tv ground. Remember you have 3 wires feeding power to the trailer but only one going back, the common wire ( ground )is the common denominator here.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby zapj » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:06 pm

Thank you for the suggestion I'll try tomorrow with the jumper wire. I am at a loss and running out of ideas. I'm sure it has to be in the trailer wiring harness because I have used this vehicle to pull two other trailers recently and the lights work correctly. I also have a Casita that i pull with another vehicle but it has a 7 pin. I'll use my 7 to 4 adapter on the Weekender tomorrow also just to eliminate another probable. The trailer is kept inside an enclosed shed so weather should not be a factor for the harness connector. I'm not trying to shootdown ideas just giving info of things so others may process and maybe suggest something I've missed.

Thanks
zapj
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm

When this happened to me, it was the controller on the tow vehicle.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets