Routing DC cable

Anything electric, AC or DC

Routing DC cable

Postby cwaet » Sat May 08, 2021 12:21 pm

Would you run the DC cable direct from breaker to bus bar, or route over to the wall to secure with c-clips and around? I’m deferring to keeping the cables shorter by running direct but am interested in what others would do.
7x16 Cargo Trailer Conversion - Build #1 viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73720
Pacific Northwest
cwaet
Teardrop Builder

Re: Routing DC cable

Postby tony.latham » Sat May 08, 2021 1:42 pm

This is how I do it in a 'drop. (Isn't juice, juice?) :thinking:

I find using two-wire black and white cable keeps the mystery out of it.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cwaet » Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Thanks Tony, your setup looks great. I was referring to the mess of “cables” that I’ve laid out with string that will go from the breakers on the back of the electrical cabinet to the bus bars behind it.
Pacific Northwest
cwaet
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat May 08, 2021 5:35 pm

cwaet wrote:Would you run the DC cable direct from breaker to bus bar, or route over to the wall to secure with c-clips and around? I’m deferring to keeping the cables shorter by running direct but am interested in what others would do.

If I understand, I'd take your second option. Neatness and a little extra length to the wires makes it easier to get to things and troubleshoot. An extra few inches, or foot, or so of wire won't change the losses significantly.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun May 09, 2021 1:24 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
cwaet wrote:Would you run the DC cable direct from breaker to bus bar, or route over to the wall to secure with c-clips and around? I’m deferring to keeping the cables shorter by running direct but am interested in what others would do.

If I understand, I'd take your second option. Neatness and a little extra length to the wires makes it easier to get to things and troubleshoot. An extra few inches, or foot, or so of wire won't change the losses significantly.

Tom

+1 :thumbsup:
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby cwaet » Mon May 10, 2021 11:46 am

Thanks for the replies! I didn't have enough cable to route all of them around to the wall, but am going to go to an electrical supply store to see if I can get some better clips, etc for better cable management, then come back eventually to clean it up now that I have it laid out. Just wrapping up the final outlets and switches, then I can start testing.
Pacific Northwest
cwaet
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets