electric plan

Anything electric, AC or DC

electric plan

Postby mikevet » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:14 pm

Building teardrop camper. Lithium ampere 24 volt 200 amp battery. Used 2 ga wire from battery to main disconnect. Same size cable to mpp solar pip 2424 all in one unit. Inverter is 2800 watt. From there I used 240 volt extension cord wire to ac panel panel has three 15 and 20 amp circuits. I have some questions. There are internal fuses in the pip and lithium battery. Do I need large fuse for ac side or can I just put the ac power to my fuse box and use one of my slots to connect main wire from pip and put a larger fuse there then let that feed the panel? not sure if they make a fuse that large to put in a slot. If not, I will buy a circuit breaker to mount next to pip.
2nd part of system is dc. I will run power from outlet of main disconnect to 24/12v 80 amp converter. Question. The converter is a victron Orion. It has a positive a input and a output. Then one neg post. The question is ….what connects to this one neg post? Is the 24 volt neg from battery AND the negative to my 12 volt fuse distribution panel both connected to this one post? The wire size I’m using here is 10 gauge wire. Run is about 8 feet from converter to panel. Do I need a main fuse after main disconnect or is the one in the lithium battery good enough? I did ac power test and I’m good for surge and running amperage. What do u think Of system? Anything I need to add?
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: electric plan

Postby bdosborn » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:50 pm

You definitely want a fuse between the battery and the inverter. 2,800W/12V=116 amps. A #2 awg wire from the home center is good for 115A so that should work unless you have long cables. Inverters typically have a short term surge rating of about double the continuous rating, so 230A. I would go with the next available fuse size, which is a 250A. BUT, you really should read the manual for the inverter and see what the manufacturer recommends for a fuse size.

The Victron Orion will have a recommended fuse size and a wiring diagram in the manual, but short answer is you need a ground from the Orion to your battery ground. Then a ground from your 12V distribution center to the battery. Remember that the 12V output will be twice the amps of the 24V input.

I like MRBF terminals, you can get a double fused model so that the inverter and the Orion both have their own fuse, right at the battery terminal.

Marine Rated Battery Fuse, Double Terminal

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mikevet » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:14 pm

viltron manual is not very good. it does not specify anything about the questions i posted here. for example. it says "the minus cable(s) should be connected. " not very informative. it does not indicate a fuse at all. i looked on their website, and it's the same sorry directions that are in the box.

so, you are saying get a double poll that both are rated for 200 amps and one lead go to inverter and the other breaker rated at same amp go to converter? can you please specify again what you are saying? specifically....i use one fuse between batt and main disconnect or do i need to have separate disconnects each 200 amp and one goes to inverter and the other to converter? the reason i do not not understand is because the converter is rated @ 80 amp max. the 200 amp circuit will not trip (i think). also, do i need a fuse between converter and distribution panel? my distribution panels has fuses in it for each item. as of now, i was planning only to have a 10 ga wire from converter output + to positive on panel
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:50 pm

Post a link to the Orion you bought and we can look more closely at what the fusing and wiring sizes should be.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mikevet » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:36 pm

mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:18 pm

You picked the beefy Orion with a 70A output and a surge of 85A. 85A/2=42.5A at 24V So I would use a 45A fuse on the 24V side of the Orion, and #8 wire. I would use a #4 wire on the 12V side to your fuse distribution.

Here's a wiring diagram of how the Orion is connected:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mikevet » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:45 pm

Thanks bdosborn. So it’s ok to hook all grounds back to the 24 volt battery? It the pic it looks like all the grounds eventually are connected. If that’s the case, I’ll use a distribution block.
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:36 am

Yup, all the grounds go back to the 24V battery. :thumbsup:
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mikevet » Thu Oct 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Is the amperage divided by 2 because it’s 24 volt therefor less current? 48 volt divided by4?
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:00 pm

Yup.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets