Why install cigarette lighter style 12v outlets?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Why install cigarette lighter style 12v outlets?

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:00 am

Hi Rob. Our Tacoma had that induction charger built in, but the Tundra doesn't. So, Shelly's phone probably has that capability, but we would have to buy the charger just like one of these. But we think you are right, that would be a way to charge and use the nav and sound systems in the Tundra.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:18 pm

I've noticed I can compose and post messages to TNTTT from my newer computer, using the hotspot on the new phone, but when I spend a long time composing on my 15 year old Windows 7 computer, I'm logged off while composing. My hypothesis is that the phone turns off the hotspot due to some interface issues, like maybe the older computer doesn't send the right "ping" signals to keep it going. :thinking:

Anyway, something interesting (stupid?) is happening, that I've got to figure out. It keeps me on the spectrum! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Kakolifarh wrote:Congratulations on your journey with the 2011 Ultimate Edition! It's heartening to witness your dream come to life after the initial admiration back in 2001.

You seem to be confused; no one mentioned an Ultimate Edition of anything.

Oh, and the link you plan to put in by editing your post in a few days: Must be a crummy product if they have to spam it to try and advertise! :thumbdown: :stompspam:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby rjgimp » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:10 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
You seem to be confused...

Tom

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:40 am

Didn't take him long either! No doubt most of us come to the teardrop forum to look for an essay writing service. Make one wonder why his writing is so uninspiring! :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:59 pm

I have one power point and a number of Anderson Power Poles I find then more reliable and have adapted most thing to power poles.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:47 pm

Anyway, something interesting (stupid?) is happening...

Tom:

I just sent you a laser-commo message by bouncing it off the moon. Did you get it? 8)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:23 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Anyway, something interesting (stupid?) is happening...

Tom:

I just sent you a laser-commo message by bouncing it off the moon. Did you get it? 8)

Tony

Probably, but I'm not sure. I can handle the lasercom, but need Shelly to help me with the phone. :?

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:58 pm

but need Shelly to help me with the phone. :?

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:03 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:I've noticed I can compose and post messages to TNTTT from my newer computer, using the hotspot on the new phone, but when I spend a long time composing on my 15 year old Windows 7 computer, I'm logged off while composing. My hypothesis is that the phone turns off the hotspot due to some interface issues, like maybe the older computer doesn't send the right "ping" signals to keep it going. :thinking:

Anyway, something interesting (stupid?) is happening, that I've got to figure out. It keeps me on the spectrum! :thumbsup:

Tom

Brief update, since the spammers brought this thread back to life (in a Frankenstein sense of the term):

The problem was mitigated after I downloaded a slew of updates to the new phone. Then, in a more-or-less unrelated incident, I dropped the phone from the height of a Harbor Fraught workmate knock-off onto a concrete floor. Despite the fact the phone had a rubber case around it, and a leather holster style case around that, it suddenly stopped working. So Shelly took the SIM card out and put it in my old phone. No evident problems with logging off while composing, now (knock wood!)

From my point of view, I should have a fixed hotspot and not a phone. But then I couldn't call Shelly to tell her my phone is broken. That's why I need some Army field wire strung between our cabin and garage, and a couple of field phones...

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby Theresa76 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:25 am

rjgimp wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:I...we were using her phone, plugged in through one of those USB-A ports with Google Maps, to navigate, displaying it on the truck's screen. Can't do that and charge simultaneously anymore!

...we could play tunes through her phone. Can't do that now either (and charge at the same time).

Tom

So, I'm completely clueless in the tech world. I have an iPhone 11 and have recently discovered the concept of inductive charging with a "Qi" pad. The iPhone 12 and later use a newer inductive charger that involves magnets which hold the charger in a specific orientation for optimum interface. Does your Samsung phone charge this way? Could you use one of these inductive charging pads in the truck and simultaneously plug into the port for music or navigation?
:thinking:
"Key Error Try Again" captures the essence of perseverance in the intricate art of writing. Just like in coding, where errors prompt growth, in writing, each 'key error' becomes a stepping stone toward refining our craft. It's a reminder that the journey to articulate thoughts is a dynamic process, encouraging us to explore diverse avenues. Speaking of exploration, one valuable key is knowing 'how to cite a research paper.' https://essaypro.com/blog/research-paper-format Citing not only adds credibility but also pays homage to the collective wisdom shaping our ideas. Embracing errors with curiosity and mastering citation techniques are keystones to becoming proficient in the beautiful tapestry of wordsmithing.
Thanks for the information!
Last edited by Theresa76 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theresa76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34 am

Theresa76 wrote:
rjgimp wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:I...we were using her phone, plugged in through one of those USB-A ports with Google Maps, to navigate, displaying it on the truck's screen. Can't do that and charge simultaneously anymore!

...we could play tunes through her phone. Can't do that now either (and charge at the same time).

Tom

So, I'm completely clueless in the tech world. I have an iPhone 11 and have recently discovered the concept of inductive charging with a "Qi" pad. The iPhone 12 and later use a newer inductive charger that involves magnets which hold the charger in a specific orientation for optimum interface. Does your Samsung phone charge this way? Could you use one of these inductive charging pads in the truck and simultaneously plug into the port for music or navigation?
:thinking:
Thanks for the information!

Another SPAM, probably from the same spammer; certainly using the same MO. You're on the radar "Theresa"! :stompspam:

And there it is, editing Rob's post to make it look like he included a spam link. Ironic that the link is claimed to aid writing when it commits one of the worst crimes of writing--mis-citing a "source".

Tom
Last edited by Tom&Shelly on Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly

Postby bdosborn » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:35 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:From my point of view, I should have a fixed hotspot and not a phone. But then I couldn't call Shelly to tell her my phone is broken. That's why I need some Army field wire strung between our cabin and garage, and a couple of field phones...

Add this to your thift shop list. ;)
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:43 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:That's why I need some Army field wire strung between our cabin and garage, and a couple of field phones...

Tom

Back in the 70s/80s when I did my stint in the BSA in northeastern MN we had a family in our troop with a cabin just over the Canadian border on North Fowl Lake. We would drive up the north shore of Lake Superior then inland to a BWCA entry lake and canoe 3 lakes and a river plus a couple portages and spend the weekend there. The dad worked for the local telephone company (at the time it was Northwestern Bell If I recall correctly...) and had some old equipment up at the cabin. Arriving at the dock we were greeted by a large totem pole which had a modern (for 1970-something) telephone mounted on it, mostly as a conversation piece (pun fully intended!) as it was not wired to anything. In the cabin and the outhouse he had installed antique hand crank phones that were wired together and fully functional. Inevitably the new kid would take a seat on the throne and find himself curious about the hulking box on the wall and maybe crank the handle to see if it worked or maybe he would be sitting there quietly and be startled right out of his socks when a call came in! I was that new kid one time and cranked the handle. A bit later up at the cabin I was thoroughly grilled as to why I initiated a call and then ignored the party who answered. Of course I was red-faced and the adults all had a good laugh at my expense.
:oops: :frightened: :R :lol:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets