Connecting a Portable Solar Panel

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:17 pm

I have a DC to DC battery charger that also has an integrated MPPT solar charger all in a single unit. So far I’ve only used the DC to DC charger to charge a 100AH LifePo4 battery to run my fridge and a couple of LED lights. I’m very pleased with the performance. Our camping/road trip style usually puts us on the road for a couple of hours or more every day, so the drive time is mostly sufficient to keep the battery charged. However, on a few occasions we will stay in one place for a few days, so I purchased a 130 watt portable “suit case” style solar panel to supplement the DC to DC charger setup. I’ll have a 20 foot extension cable as well so I can place the panel where needed. Being new to solar, I have a couple of wiring questions I hope you guys can help me with: 1). I’m concerned about the prospect of directly connecting and/or disconnecting a live panel to the charge controller. So, should there be some sort of in-line switch to the panel to enable live connection to the charge controller after the panel is set up and for disabling the connection before disassembling the panel set up? 2). The panel produces just under 7 amps max. Should the cable line be fused? If so, should it be near the controller or at the solar panel connection? 3). Am I simply over complicating the whole issue and if so, what is the simplest way to connect and disconnect the panel whenever it’s needed?

The owner’s manual for the charger has wiring instructions that are simple and well illustrated, however, neither of the above questions is addressed. The charge controller is a CTEK D250SE if that matters.

As always, thanks for the help,

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Re: Connecting a Portable Solar Panel

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:24 pm

I’m concerned about the prospect of directly connecting and/or disconnecting a live panel to the charge controller.

I have a Renogy controller and the battery needs to be connected to it prior to removing or connecting the panel or it can damage the controller according to Renogy.

You might contact the company that makes the product.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:52 pm

Toytaco2 wrote: 1). I’m concerned about the prospect of directly connecting and/or disconnecting a live panel to the charge controller. So, should there be some sort of in-line switch to the panel to enable live connection to the charge controller after the panel is set up and for disabling the connection before disassembling the panel set up?

As long as the controller is connected to the battery first like Tony mentioned you shouldn't need to worry about connecting/disconnecting the portable pane via a plug. I've been doing it for years to different controllers everything still works.

Toytaco2 wrote:2). The panel produces just under 7 amps max. Should the cable line be fused? If so, should it be near the controller or at the solar panel connection? 3). Am I simply over complicating the whole issue and if so, what is the simplest way to connect and disconnect the panel whenever it’s needed?

You're not required to have a fuse on the solar array wire as long as two conditions are met:
1. You have fewer that 3 panels in the array.
2. The wire is sized at 1.56 times the full load of the panel. 7A*1.56=11A so you're good if you use a #14 wire or larger to your portable panel.

Make sure you have a fuse on the wires from the controller to the battery.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:58 pm

aways helpful.
<The charge controller is a CTEK D250SE if that matters.>

Not familiar with CTEK (quick lookup) thought it's bit more costly than my Atem Power, yet it should work the same.

That being as others have said, if connected to the battery you should be fine plugging in as needed. Honestly can't see why you should not (otherwise how?). I've done just as you mentioned and plugged my 120amp suitcase panel in as we have camped and expect to stay for a bit.

Big fan of these portable suitcase panel setups. Place you camper in the shade and run a cord to the panel in the hot sun! Also can turn them, angle them to a better position!

Safe Travels
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:07 pm

Bruce - sounds like I have, indeed, been trying to over-complicate things and I should be able to plug and un-plug the panel at any time as long as the system meets the requirements you listed (which my set-up does).

Tony - I did contact CTEK about these questions, but have not received a reply yet.

RJ - Thanks for the confirmation. I’m feeling much more confident about this whole process.

Thanks all for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Toytaco2
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets