Homemade Power Source and Battery Charger

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Larwyn » Mon May 15, 2006 6:49 am

asianflava wrote:For one of those small 2-stroke engines to work, they have to be running at full bore. I don't think people would appreciate a weed eater engine running at full throttle anywhere near their campsite.

Yep, that and it would scare the h*** out of the weeds in the campground........... :D
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby IndyCubby » Mon May 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Just went to check out the two website links that Dee Bee posted....Go here and look all the way at the very bottom of the page:

http://www.theepicenter.com//tow082099.html

There's a 1000 watt AC (and DC) generator that they sell for $169. That seems very reasonable!
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby rampage » Mon May 15, 2006 12:21 pm

asianflava wrote:For one of those small 2-stroke engines to work, they have to be running at full bore. I don't think people would appreciate a weed eater engine running at full throttle anywhere near their campsite.

I guess the wife is getting a 2 stroke blender for Christmas. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby Gadget Man » Mon May 15, 2006 12:56 pm

Well...I guess it's 3 strikes against the weed eater engine.
>I figured the noise would be a problem, Strike one
>>The lack of power another, Stike two
>>>Then the gas-oil mix thing, another, Strike Three.
It's outta Here!!!!

So now to just find a decent 3 hp standard engine.
>>>Garage Sales Here I come<<<<<

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby ARKPAT » Mon May 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Yep :D
I have two with one with a 120Amp Chy. alternator on one and a 90 Ply. alternator on a vert. shaft 3.5 B&S engine on the other.
:thumbsup: :applause:
Q ( I have the same reason Solar suplemented house not total yet but soon ) and Chuck have the same ideas it seems for back-up. I have a custom ( hand made regulator circuit ) regulators and standard regulators ( switchable ) on both for recharging the batteries.The larger on is on the riding lawn tractor for accessories/inverter ( electric hedge clippers/electric chain saw/lights/small back-up power ).Save :money: on the electric bill.Maybe in the near future not even have a bill for them or even a meter????? :shocked:

:thumbsup:
Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Mon May 15, 2006 10:24 pm

Pat -- leave the meter up. Lots of people have found that they can sell their excess to the utility which cuts their bill and gives them access in sucky weather.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 pm

The buy back laws in Arkansas make it very hard to do for what you get in return.The same for alternate fuels unless you are doing it on a large scale.Oklahoma and Texas are much better than Arkansas in that reguard.
Arkansas
Net Metering Law Enacted
In April, "The Arkansas Renewable Energy Development Act of 2001" was enacted, which enables net metering beginning October 1, 2001. The act covers solar, wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, and biomass technologies; fuel cells and microturbines are also eligible if fueled by a renewable source. Eligible system size is limited to 25 kilowatts (kW) for residential systems and 100 kW for commercial systems. The PSC will develop the net-metering rules including the terms and conditions of interconnection and net-metering contracts.

Arkansas Net Metering Law (Act 1781):
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/ftproot/a ... ct1781.pdf
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I wish it was better! :thinking:

Maybe in time it will come up to speed with the surounding states.

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Q » Tue May 16, 2006 7:32 am

A good choice are the small Honda engines. The 4 or 5 hp consumer models are inexpensive, last a long time, and are very quiet. When I say "very quiet" I'm talking about mechanical noise. The muffler isn't all that quiet but a quieter muffler can be installed.

Q

Gadget Man wrote:Well...I guess it's 3 strikes against the weed eater engine.
>I figured the noise would be a problem, Strike one
>>The lack of power another, Stike two
>>>Then the gas-oil mix thing, another, Strike Three.
It's outta Here!!!!

So now to just find a decent 3 hp standard engine.
>>>Garage Sales Here I come<<<<<

Gadget Man
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Q » Tue May 16, 2006 7:38 am

Some good projects are located here including the mark 8 regulator for use on a engine/alternator system.

http://www.homepower.com/magazine/downl ... ebrews.cfm

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Melvin » Thu May 18, 2006 10:47 am

EZ wrote:That is cool! Does it really take 3 1/2 horsepower to spin an alternator? Maybe they just use those because they are cheap and plentiful.

Ed

Yes, an alternator doing any kind of work draws at least a horse, horse and a half. More for higher output altenators.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby s4son » Thu May 18, 2006 11:56 am

Speaking of weed eater motors. I know some guys with home built airplanes that have developed a starter for their planes using a chainsaw motor. They are WWI replicas that use VW engines. Had they introduced an electrical system in the planes for a starter it would have meant installing all manner of equipment mandated by the FAA (radio, transponder,etc...) So to get around that and having to hand prop their planes, they came up with the “Missouri Madness Chain Saw Starting System.” Pretty darn ingenious.

http://www.kcdawnpatrol.org/chainsaw.htm

Scott F. 8)
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets