Antenna ?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby cracker39 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:39 pm

I put a coax jack low on the side of my TTT, and the inside outlet on the wall just below where I'm going to build the TV shelf. My wife likes her TV and won't want to miss her soaps if it during the week. I thought about finding some type of antenna that folds down to 4' or less to put on a pole like the one in the link above, fixed with guy wires to the trailer. I just haven't looked for an antenna yet that will work.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby emiller » Sun May 14, 2006 5:44 pm

:thinking:
I wounder how one of those boomerang type antennas work
Like these http://www.wintenna.com/boomerangs.htm#Lighted
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Sun May 14, 2006 5:52 pm

The only use I have found for electronic "noise" while camping is to drown out that supplied by others who are either hard of hearing or simply wish to share their "music" with the surounding campsites. When camping, what does the news really matter, as for the weather, check the nearest rock, whether it is wet or dry matters little, however if that rock is moving you best hunker down and brace for the storm..........Perhaps that might be a good time for a DVD player in the camper....... :D
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Antenna

Postby Aaron Coffee » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:23 pm

I got a mirror mount TV antenna from the local truck stop(radio shack used to carry a better one, but radio shack isn't what it used to be). I bought a shepards hook at walmart(garden department, used to hang plants, outside), mounted my antenna to that and used the hook to hang my lantern, just added 2 pieces of small tubing to hang flags and have a little bracket made(not installed yet) to mount my XM radio antenna. The shepards hook was 85 inchs so I cut iit in half, threaded both halves and joined them with a union connector(long nut), so I can break it down for tansportation, and just drive it in the ground at the campsite. The antenna worked better than hanging the rabbit ears out the door, was a bit pricey(I thought) at $30.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Antenna

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:58 pm

Aaron Coffee wrote:I got a mirror mount TV antenna from the local truck stop(radio shack used to carry a better one, but radio shack isn't what it used to be). I bought a shepards hook at walmart(garden department, used to hang plants, outside), mounted my antenna to that and used the hook to hang my lantern, just added 2 pieces of small tubing to hang flags and have a little bracket made(not installed yet) to mount my XM radio antenna. The shepards hook was 85 inchs so I cut iit in half, threaded both halves and joined them with a union connector(long nut), so I can break it down for tansportation, and just drive it in the ground at the campsite. The antenna worked better than hanging the rabbit ears out the door, was a bit pricey(I thought) at $30.

Aaron,

This would be a good opportunity for you to start taking and posting pictures in your album....... :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:42 pm

I haven't gotten an outside antenna for my TV yet, but this looks like something I'd try. I have a truck stop not far from where I live, maybe 7-8 miles, where I got my trailer weighed. I may run up there, or call and see if they sell one like that. The one in the pic has the center load coils just like on a CB anetnna. That's something I haven't seen before on a tv antenna.

Does that antenna have a standard TV coax connector on the cable, and how long is the cable?
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:03 pm

Wow what an old thread, I ended up getting a wineguard fold up rv antennae. I ran a coax to the front of my trailer and rigged up a mount to mount it on the front kayak rack after I'm parked. You can see it in this pic.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby tonyj » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:32 pm

I ordered one of the rv antennas from JCWhitney without even looking at the dimensions. The thing is huge! Folds down into a 3 inch tube that is 49 or 50 inches long. I figure if I use it, I will store it under the trailer or in the truck, and only put it up late at night so no one will see it! I haven't tried it out yet to check reception. If it works at my shop, I'll be happy. Rabbit ears won't pull in any stations there.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:58 am

tonyj wrote:I ordered one of the rv antennas from JCWhitney without even looking at the dimensions. The thing is huge! Folds down into a 3 inch tube that is 49 or 50 inches long. I figure if I use it, I will store it under the trailer or in the truck, and only put it up late at night so no one will see it! I haven't tried it out yet to check reception. If it works at my shop, I'll be happy. Rabbit ears won't pull in any stations there.

Tony, You got the same one I did. And yes I did the same thing. When I got the box from UPS I did the same thing. Holy cow I ordered a house antennae. :lol:
I guess when they said RV they were thinking class A.
It does get good reception though. I tried the amplified rabbit ears, They didn't work.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Re: Antenna ?

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:47 am

Sonetpro wrote:I am putting the finishing touches on the cabin. I am installing a stereo and a LCD TV.
I have seen quite a few others putting them in thier tears.

So my question is. I have never seen a antenna on anybody's tear. What do ya'll use????

I use a cable jack on the outside wall and run cable to the galley and to the cabin for my LCD (flip down TV). Radio Shack amplified rabbit ears ($35) can usually pick up a couple of local channels. I like to hear the local weather and news if I can get it. (Definately not HDTV)
The rabbit ears are for indoor use (or so it says), but I put a plastic bag over the unit it it looks like rain. Works for me. :thinking:
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Re: Antenna ?

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:57 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:
Sonetpro wrote:I am putting the finishing touches on the cabin. I am installing a stereo and a LCD TV.
I have seen quite a few others putting them in thier tears.

So my question is. I have never seen a antenna on anybody's tear. What do ya'll use????

I use a cable jack on the outside wall and run cable to the galley and to the cabin for my LCD (flip down TV). Radio Shack amplified rabbit ears ($35) can usually pick up a couple of local channels. I like to hear the local weather and news if I can get it. (Definately not HDTV)
The rabbit ears are for indoor use (or so it says), but I put a plastic bag over the unit it it looks like rain. Works for me. :thinking:

I ran my cable the same way. I live 60 miles from the closest TV tower and I usually camp about the same distance from one. I can pick up "ghost channels " with the rabbit ears. With the wineguard it brings them in. It ought to it has a 4' dipole diameter.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:39 am

Guys, What ever happened to a good book and MAYBE a radio. I'm with Larwyn on this- If the rocks dry it's fine etc etc etc. Out bush no technology apart from printed or the MP3 player tops. ;)

Cheers
Paul

PS See I told ya Steve :lol:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby cracker39 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:42 am

[quote="tonyj"]I ordered one of the rv antennas from JCWhitney without even looking at the dimensions. The thing is huge! Folds down into a 3 inch tube that is 49 or 50 inches long. I figure if I use it, I will store it under the trailer or in the truck, and only put it up late at night so no one will see it! I haven't tried it out yet to check reception. If it works at my shop, I'll be happy. Rabbit ears won't pull in any stations there.[/quote

I checked the JC Whitney site and found the Winegard HA-0130 fold-down antenna that fits in a 24" long tube, so I'm not sure if that's the same one. Whitney sells it for $54.95 and I found the same one at PPL Motor Homes on sale for $38.89 and at Summit Source for $39.95. Both were about $48 with shipping.

Based on the comments above about this antenna, now I'm considering getting one of them. If I do, I'll probably mount it on the side of my trailer above the exterior coax connection already installed.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby emiller » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:16 am

The Winegard ant. is all directional isn't it, you don't have to turn it in circles to try and find the best reception. I,m also thinking about buying it.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:23 am

cracker39 wrote:
tonyj wrote:I ordered one of the rv antennas from JCWhitney without even looking at the dimensions. The thing is huge! Folds down into a 3 inch tube that is 49 or 50 inches long. I figure if I use it, I will store it under the trailer or in the truck, and only put it up late at night so no one will see it! I haven't tried it out yet to check reception. If it works at my shop, I'll be happy. Rabbit ears won't pull in any stations there.[/quote

I checked the JC Whitney site and found the Winegard HA-0130 fold-down antenna that fits in a 24" long tube, so I'm not sure if that's the same one. Whitney sells it for $54.95 and I found the same one at PPL Motor Homes on sale for $38.89 and at Summit Source for $39.95. Both were about $48 with shipping.

Based on the comments above about this antenna, now I'm considering getting one of them. If I do, I'll probably mount it on the side of my trailer above the exterior coax connection already installed.

Dale the tube is 24" that it pull's into, but the when you pull it in the tube you now have a 24' tube with a 24" pole sticking out of it. So that = 48"
I'm happy with mine. I just throw it on the bed when traveling.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets