Battery charger

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:14 pm

G, we hardwired the charger(a cheapy 3stage from WallyWorld) into the system...however, we used a double pole, double throw sitch to control the 120VAC in and the 12VDC out, so as to be able to switch the charger in and out of the system as needed...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Geron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Good Idea and would not be a problem the way my chase is designed. However, this this being a 4 stage charger it wouldn't hurt the battery to always keep it connected. There might be that occasion, however, so the switch is a good idea.

The CTEK is a 3.3a Charger and should run my Fantastic fan even if the battery is low -- with the charger plugged into 120v that is.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:18 pm

G, the C-Tek and the Deltrans both say they can be permanently hard wired but we saw no such info on the cheapy we got...so we used the DPDS switch for that reason.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Geron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:27 pm

madjack wrote:G, the C-Tek and the Deltrans both say they can be permanently hard wired but we saw no such info on the cheapy we got...so we used the DPDS switch for that reason.....
madjack 8)

gottcha.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dahoon » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:33 am

I am going to hardwire the CTEK Charger and a 350w Inverter to the batteries. (Yep just a 350w inverter, it will be running an electric razor or up to 4 strings of Christmas/Cabana lights)
They will be placed in a forward compartment of the battery box.

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby sledge » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:07 pm

some of you may or may not know that all VW's come to the US with a solar panel sticking to the windshield, so when they get over here they will start......... I went to a dealer and walked into the shop and asked a mechanic if I could buy one, he said how many do you want....... I said just one. So I bought it for $20 and It keeps my battery hot all the time, even if we camp where there is no Power. .... Just a thought. ;)
sledge
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:03 am

sledge wrote:some of you may or may not know that all VW's come to the US with a solar panel sticking to the windshield, so when they get over here they will start......... I went to a dealer and walked into the shop and asked a mechanic if I could buy one, he said how many do you want....... I said just one. So I bought it for $20 and It keeps my battery hot all the time, even if we camp where there is no Power. .... Just a thought. ;)

I see them for sale on eBay all the time. I wondered what they do with them since our VW didn't come with it. Why don't they just give them to whomever buys the car?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sledge » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:33 am

I guess most folks don't know the little solar panel was even in the car , after the dealer preps the car for sale they take them out. AND I'd say most of them are thrown away, If you bought a new bug you might go back to your dealer and tell them you want one, I bet they would give you one. The little panel is only about 10" X 18" , and I think they are about 4 or 5 watts output. I bought mine to use on a Motor Cycle that wouldn't Charge. But you wouldn't believe how well those little things will keep a battery charged up. ... And when your Teardrop is sitting at home between trips, it keeps your battery topped off. ;)
sledge
500 Club

Postby brian_bp » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:50 pm

The U-Haul rental travel trailers of the 1980's came with a solar panel mounted on the roof for the same purpose of maintaining the battery between uses. Some current owners (they're all privately owned now) think they're great, and actually useful. I think they were rated for 15 watts.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sledge » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:26 am

Ohhhhhhhhh, thats enough to keep a battery hot for sure , you can buy solar panels at H/F , :thumbsup:
sledge
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets