Battery charger

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby 48Rob » Tue May 30, 2006 12:47 pm

Walter,

Yes, you're right!

Decisions can be hard to make, but unless I was trying to choose a charger for something critical like life support, I'd just do enough research to get one that could keep up with my demand.
My 5 Amp Deltran is doing a great job.

If you end up with one that is too small, you can always use it for something else.

Life is too short to fuss over little things.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby surveytech » Tue May 30, 2006 2:22 pm

Rob,
I know I know.
dont fret the small stuff.
I have a 6 amp charger and its just fine but wonder if
the little baby ones would do the job as well. Would be handy to mount
one in my tongue box (if I ever get it built!)

thanks for all the help

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:30 am

My 12v needs are minimal. ONe fantastic fan, one dome light, 2 reading lights. I use a 750 ma battery tender jr. I leave it plugged in to a power strip all the time. I does not 'back feed' so will not drain battery. I just ordered another one (I have 2 now, one for tear, one for motorcycle). In the morning, the battery is always been fully charged..

http://store.azmusa.com/56-1129-az.html
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:03 am

Hi

The only problem I can see with the battery Tender Jnr is that it will not fully charge a battery within 1 day, the unit is primarily designed to charge up batteries that are only slightly depleted and then keep them topped up while in storage, it is more of a maintenance device than a charger. A 100 Ah battery drained half way is going to take over 3 Days to recharge and struggle to overcome the resistance to charge, deplete the battery much more and the tiny current is going to have trouble overcoming the sulphation and may never have enough power to recharge the battery, straight out of the box it is OK to charge gell this means the top voltage is 14.4 Max this is not ideal for lead acid but would work if higher amperage were available. 0.75 Amp is just too little really

The Deltran 5 Amp and or CTek 3600 3.6 are a Quantum leap better, both will recharge a 100 Ah in a day.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:02 am

Sorry about the multi posts... that was when I hit submit and it did nothing for 5 minutes, so I'd stop it and ressubmit....

Anyway, yes, the bat tender jr is not made for heavy duty charging. My battery usage is limited to the fantasitc fan, a dome light and 2 reading lights. Most camping we do is in warmer months when it does not get dark real early. I can easily go without shore power for several days with no worry since I have a fairly large deep cycle battery.

Given our usage, the battery tender jr always recharges the bat overnight... and I also use it all winter to keep the battery topped off. That charger is not meant to charge a dead battery.

I also have a regular bat tender which puts out 125 ma, but I don't use that much anymore, the jr. is more convenient.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:33 am

Hi Arne

Unless your battery consumption is less than 8 Amps there is no possible way for the battery tender Jnr to recharge it overnight (its physically impossible) even 8 amps is being over generous.

A small fantastic fan used on low uses nearly 2 amps an hour, but in your album a TV is shown and there is another 3 Amps per hour and then lights maybe 1.5 amps and you mention several days without shore power? this would soon mount up.

I would honestly have to say that the Jnr is too small for your needs, at most I would expect this to be ok with a couple of lights that are not used much at all.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:42 am

The tv and vcr are shore power.. all I can say is that set up has been in for 2 seasons and never a problem. The fan only runs intermittently, the lights get used at most 3 hours per day, and not all at once.... if it becomes a problem at some point, I'll deal with it then.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:08 am

Ha Arne

Those items being shore power would certainly help, I reckon a few amps would still be better for most people though.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:58 pm

This Schumacher 1.5 Amp charger has become the standard on vehicles around here to keep the battery warm and charged overnite in winter. The charger, oil pan heater and block heater plug to a short 3-way cord that passes through the grille. Think it would work for a teardrop, George?
    Fred
    :peace:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Arne » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:04 pm

That is an excellent price for a 1.5 amp unit that will go to float charge.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby GeorgeTelford » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:56 pm

Hi

The shumacher is not a staged charger, it operates solely on the batteries internal resistance, as a trickle charger for the winter its OK, but its no Deltrans ( gotta say the deltrans is the best charger for the price I have ever seen, staged charger under 40 bucks ?)

Ctek 3600 and then its over to Sterlings and the like, spending a lot more do$h to charge rapidly.
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Geron » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:44 pm

I ordered the CTEK and at first glance am pleased with it.

The footprint will fit in the electrical chase on the TD

Got the CTEK 3300 Which is a 4 stage 0.8/3.3 A charger.

Left the mug in the pic for size comparison.

g

Yes, that was an AeroPress mug of coffee 8)
1 scoop bean
ground 2 steps above espresso
6 oz water at 180 F
stirred 10 sec
brewed 30 seconds
pressed 20 seconds
topped off to 10 oz Americano

Ummm think I'll make another.
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dahoon » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:21 am

I have been selling batteries and chargers for the last 28+ years and the CTEK charger is a good one. I used it to charge two group 27 deep cyclke batteries and it brought them up together at the same time. We have sold a bunch of them and haven't had a problem with a one. I'm putting one in my teardrop.
You wont be sorry you have one.

We sell them at the store for $69.95 and can't keep them on the shelf

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Geron » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:17 am

dahoon wrote:I have been selling batteries and chargers for the last 28+ years and the CTEK charger is a good one. I used it to charge two group 27 deep cyclke batteries and it brought them up together at the same time. We have sold a bunch of them and haven't had a problem with a one. I'm putting one in my teardrop.
You wont be sorry you have one.

We sell them at the store for $69.95 and can't keep them on the shelf

Mike

I paid 62.99 but had to pay shipping/handling. I'm usually the one that buy's something the day before it goes on half price. I think I'll like this but had planned to mount it in the electrical chase. However it cools by natural air flow. Will have to alter the plans or drill holes for airl flow.

g
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Geron » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:07 pm

I've checked th CTEK web site and tried to call tech, but no answer.

Here's my question:

I plan to hardwire the CTEK battery charger into the 12 v system so that any time the 110v is connected the Battery Charger is activated and begins to tend the battery, whatever state the battery may be in.
DOES THIS SOUND OK? -- HARDWIRING THE CHARGER INTO THE SYSTEM

I plan to run 10 g wire from the battery to the Fuse Block (6 - 7 feet) and make all connections at the Fuse Block

Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets