Trailer blinker light

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:19 am

WOW
I looked at the lights again. Everybody overlooked the very simple answer. There is no special circuit required.
These lights are wired for tail light.
If you want one to be running only, Only hook up the Tail lead
If you want the other to be turn and brake only only wire the stop/turn lead. Simple as that. :lol:
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:45 am

Hi Steve

You have me at a disadvantage, I have never seen the actually fitting mentioned, have you got a picture of the other side? I take it that this is a red only fitting?

Woodbutcher wants to use 2 stop lights and 2 blinkerlights, which sounds to me like he wants to keep them seperate, the power from the tow vehicle is only via 2 wires (1 wire does left stop and turn and the other does right side stop and turn), the problem is still how do you seperate the Turn signal from the brake light signal which is coming down the same wire

Its real simple if he keeps the trailer lights the same as the Tow vehicle ie the LED cluster does both brake and turn functions, if he wants them seperate, some form of clever seperation is required

The problem with this thread is that the question as never been totally 100% clear

Woodbutcher, please clear up exactly what you want?

is it

a) I want all the lights to act totally independantly, ie a brake light only ever lights on braking and the indicator is only ever an indicator

b) I am happy for the turn signal to be flashing the brake lights, same as on my tow vehicle
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:12 am

Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:55 am

Hi Steve, is it right to believe that the logic circuit is capable of differentiating between a stop signal and a turn signal? That's one clever way of separating it if it works as you've drawn. Over here we have separate circuits for stop and turn but it's interesting to see that this kind of technology is available.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:03 am

Yes that's what it does.
Running lights would have both running light's on both lights
Turn signal would be only on the right light.
Brake light would put both lights on brake unless turning and then would be right indicating and left brake only.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:58 pm

Sonetpro wrote:Yes that's what it does.
Running lights would have both running light's on both lights
Turn signal would be only on the right light.
Brake light would put both lights on brake unless turning and then would be right indicating and left brake only.

Ok guys ,this is what I am after. When the lights are on all 4 tail lights are on. When the brakes are applied, all 4 lights go to brake light. When the turn signal is on just the right (or inside) light blinks but the brake light still is on, making brake light on 3 and brakelight/blinker on one. The wiring diagram indicates this will work. If I order the 2 logic circuits am I good to go if I follow Sonetpro's diagram? Thanks for your patience, I am electrically challenged.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:35 pm

Yessir that would work. Or you could get one and wire it this way.
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeTelford » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:04 pm

That all seems reasonable, all except that the makers (of the logic circuit) state that it is for powering one light only not two
GeorgeTelford
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks guys, hope I wasn't to much of a pain in the a$$. I want to save some of your patience for the interior lights ect. Coming soon.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:26 am

Well I don't know if this is the oldest reply to a past post, but I am on Teardrop time. I am nearing the end of my build. I followed Sonetpro's diagram as best I could. I can not get the logic circuit do break up the 2 lights into stop and blinker.

Right now I have all running lights working. I have the 2 black tail light leads (on each side)connected to the brown wire from the harness. The yellow to the 2 red leads on the tail lights (they are the stop/turn wire out of the tail light). With the running lights on, everything lights up including all 4 tail lights. When the blinkers are on, both lights on each side blink. This is where the problem is. I want only 1 of the 2 lights to blink, leaving 3 brake lights on with 1 blinking tail light. I have had no luck with the logic circuits at all. I can't tell if the brake light works while the blinkers are on. I am doing this alone and trying to see everything in a mirror hanging on my garage door.

Can anyone offer any help? Next trip is to DMV I hope. Thanks in advance.
Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 am

I read through this post, and as near as I can figure out, If the power for the stop,and the power for the turn BOTH come through the same wire from the TOW, there's no way your going to get what you want to acheive. You have to separate them in the tow first......

But what do I know? My names not........... :oops:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets