Oregon Trail'R Side Table

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Oregon Trail'R Side Table

Postby Esteban » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:59 pm

:thumbsup: I'm really impressed by the functionality and beautiful design of the side table made by Oregon Trail'R. I'd like to make one for my teardrop or buy one if the cost is reasonably affordable. The side table isn't offered for sale in their parts store. I also like how easily and space efficiently the side table can be stored when not in use underneath a cabinet in the sleeping area.

link to photo of side table
Last edited by Esteban on Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Re: Oregon Trail'R Side Table

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:41 pm

That is awesome They've got things down to a science! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:10 pm

S. Heisley wrote:That is awesome They've got things down to a science! :thumbsup:
I don't know if they're making one at a time (even at such an accelerated pace-haha) as a demo, but if they have much of an operation going, you'd think they'd have the component parts cut and drilled already, ready for assembly. They do offer another type of side table on their site, but I'll stay with mine, as simple as they are. I store mine next to the inside wall, bungee'd in place, when not travelling. they only take up a little space.
  • 120260 bent aluminum flat as table braces
  • 120123 3/4" thick pine planks, found as a special offer at HD (couldn't pass 'em by)
  • 120121 carriage bolts, T-slot track, angle aluminum (re-purposed parts) to make wall mount
  • 120122 test fit the T-slot track (blue) prior to screwing it to poly'd, painted planks
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I've seen pictures of their shop where they have several teardrops lined up to work on at the same time. I'm guessing that the table may be an optional thing that they make up when they get the request for one.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Esteban » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:21 pm

The Oregon Trail'R side table is one of the options offered to trailer buyers. I emailed Oregon Trail'R to inquire if they would sell me a side table. Perhaps they could add the side tables to their Teardrop trailer parts and accessories store. I may also buy Galley hatch support springs. I've watched many of their informative YouTube videos. They have a CNC machine to make parts which would reduce their time and labor from what we see in the How we build our Side Tables video.

I could (probably) make a similar side table myself. If their price is reasonably affordable I'd rather buy a ready made one from Oregon Trail'R.

Edit: Jon from Oregon Trail'R emailed me that they do not sell the side table as a stand alone product; it is only sold to trailer buyers as an optional upgrade.

I'm beginning to think about how to design and build a similar side table. It seems doable. Here are some spitball ideas:

:thinking: 1/2" or 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood may be best for the table top and plywood supports. Making a rough guess the table top may be 14-16" wide by 36-48" long. Jon wrote me that theirs are 40" long.

:thumbsup: McMaster-Carr has piano hinges that could work

:thinking: For the counter top I can use stainless steel sheets or Formica. I wonder if an old stainless steel refrigerator could be recycled for the counter top material?

:thinking: It'll need edge molding.

:thinking: I need a source for the brackets to hang a side table to the side of a teardrop. Does anyone have a source to recommend? Jon said it comes from Vintage Technologies http://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/Hinges___Aluminum_Trim.html

:thinking: They attach something to the hinged plywood supports so that they hold/clamp to the bottom of the table top when its folded up. Maybe Strong neodymium magnets with countersunk and counterbore holes. would work?

:thinking: To store the side table underneath my over-the-feet-cabinets I'll need some kind of a spring latch
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm thinking about building a side table for my teardrop. By Googling teardrop trailer side table images many inspiring designs and solutions can be seen.

That lead to discovering a Side Table Kit Combo that includes Includes:
(1) Adjustable Side Table Leg
(1) Side Table Mounting Bracket
(1) Bungee Leg Retainer
for $31.49
It seems like a good value for useful parts.

:thinking: Which side table orientation would be more useful?
(Option #1) have the longer length of a side table parallel the side of a teardrop like the ones built by OregonTrail'R.
(Optiion #2) have the longer sides extend outward about 90 degrees so several people can sit around it?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:27 pm

working on it wrote:...I'll stay with mine, as simple as they are. I store mine next to the inside wall, bungee'd in place, when not travelling. they only take up a little space....
  • After seeing the Oregon Trailer side table workmanship, and that of others on the site, lately, I felt that my two side tables didn't "have a leg to stand on"...literally. I was using two pieces of flat aluminum stock, with a locator pin to steady them, but they were cheap looking and too spindly to really steady the side tables.
  • old flimsy table braces.png
    old flimsy table braces.png (362.3 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
    just a poor excuse for side table support
  • So, I decided that an improvement was required. I made a solid leg for each to stand on. I took two of the lower legs off of an old shower seat. cut them to the length I needed to hold each table firmly above the fenders, and used a 3/8" carriage bolt with washers/nuts sized to fit into the leg, and hold it steady, without wobble, when under the table, and slid into place on the fender top. I also painted them to match the grey walls.
  • side table leg photo.png
    side table leg photo.png (182.68 KiB) Viewed 6130 times
    much steadier, and better appearing supports
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cabin_dweller » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:25 pm

Awesome work!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Cabin_dweller
Teardrop Inspector

Postby gudmund » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 pm

fully adjustable side table legs - crutches work great
gudmund
500 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 pm

Great hack on the shower stool, Working On It. Also inspired by Gudmund's crutch idea. But as a an "auxiliary" table (not necessarily on the side), I love Bobhenry's use of a walker (the folding type that the infirm use for getting around - without wheels) as a base for a table/shelf combo. Can be used anywhere at the cook-or-campsite and uses minimal storage. Since walkers typically have independently adjustable legs, it can be leveled most anywhere. Repurposing and cost effectiveness at its best. Available cheap at Goodwill & yard sales everywhere. (Actually, I think most are free for the taking at yard sales). Can't remember where I found it, but if Bobhenry sees this, and can break away from his latest big build for a few minutes, maybe he can remember where it was posted way back..........jd
Last edited by jondbar628 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:11 am

Gudmund again, I also have the portable walker table like Bob's which I just used 3/4 inch plywood cut to fit for shelves - 2 shelves - GREAT portable table for using anywhere! After seeing Bob's DO table, I have now added a 15 x 20 inch steel metal cookie sheet which can be wingnut bolted on top of the handles (didn't have a used TV dish available). I also have folding walker/chair with brakes, which I removed the padded seat from and replaced it with a piece of 3/4 plywood the same size that I drilled 3 - 1 inch holes in spaced so my DO legs fit into (keeps the DO from sliding). I use it to transport the hot DO when done cooking to and from the diner table = sure beats having to hand carry a 20++ lb HOT DO. Yes I tow with a PU which has lots of room for carrying all my stuff!! Depending on the type of trip I am going on - the wheel/chair transport is a option I sometimes leave behind BUT the walker table is always with me being it is so useful anywhere and everywhere!! Light weight - Collapsible and so portable!! :) (Have 3 misc. sized trailer side-tables which means 3 crutches from the local second hand store - one table has 2 - 11 inch dia holes cut in it for the 2 stainless salad bowls to insert into for my cleaning/wash sink - these 2 salad bowls have been a great addition for just having for any use that comes up when camping, not just for cleaning/washing - mixing pancake batter, salads, prepping food for the DO, carrying water, etc. - along with the 2 - $.88 pizza pans from W-M that fit the top of the bowls for lids to keep the leaves and varmints' out of when using them for food prep) :wine:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby jondbar628 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 am

Gotta love it. The creativity is what keeps things SO interesting here.........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Return to Camping Secrets