wash the dish or trow it?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: wash the dish or trow it?

Postby PanelDeland » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:12 pm

Neither!! I use paper plate holders (they come in plastic or wicker) and instead of a paper plate I use a flour tortilla. Then I either eat the "plate" or toss it since birds and critters will clean it up. Cuts down on dishes and makes washing utensils and pans the only clean up. Speaking of which, I need a plow disc. I loaned my last one out and it didn't come back. BTW My dish dry rack is an old onion sack, the mesh kind. I just hang it to dry with the dishes in it. I'll also use it for washing (the initial rinse clean) in a running creek, then it takes less water to clean the dishes.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 am

Generally I'll use my fold-able silicone pot and dish set. if I have guests, the paper plates come out. and after dinner, they become kindling for the inevitable campfire. I carry enough cutlery for 2 additionals + meal prep, if there's more than that well I have to break into the spare plastic junk. that is my only problem, since that stuff needs to be packed out.

Considering carrying around a jug of acetone and melting that stuff down into putty - but what to do with that after? unknown.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby fornesto » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:07 pm

With kids, I've found it easier to go with a basic set of lightweight permanent plastic plates and wash them. I don't like hiking over to the campground dumpster twice a day, the smell, or the flies/bees that hang out near trash bags. Just me, though. :)
fornesto
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets