Propane fired camp fire pits.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: Propane fired camp fire pits.

Postby bc toys » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:37 am

I have one for when we have fire bands but to be honest I like it it puts off lot of heat and I don't have to go buy wood
I have the camp chef one
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:52 am

Little red campfire. With the optional warming stand, adds a spot to keep something hot. Great to take the morning dew off the sun shade so we don't have to pack it away wet. No worries about putting out a campfire at night and starting one in a wet ring the next day.

And best of all, no asthma attacks or breathing issues from the smoke.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:00 am

Little red campfire here too. Takes little space, easy to set, easy to use, no smoke. But no coals, so s’mores are hard to make with out burning. Kids don’t seem to mind. A round here they don’t like you to transport fire wood, and ground fires are usually forbidden, so you have to bring something anyhow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:34 am

I have found that it goes threw the gas pretty fast about a tank ever 4 days for us how is everyone elses doing on the gas
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 am

bc toys wrote:I have found that it goes threw the gas pretty fast about a tank ever 4 days for us how is everyone elses doing on the gas
I haven’t run mine more than an hour or so at a time, so haven’t really noticed the gas use
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:51 am

bc toys wrote:I have found that it goes threw the gas pretty fast about a tank ever 4 days for us how is everyone elses doing on the gas

They do go fast on the disposable canisters as they don't fully use the remaining gas. We would save them and use inside the tent to dry them out. Most places don't like you to throw them out at camp grounds so we switched to the refillable 1 pound tank, just connect to the main tank and top it off in the afternoon so it is good for the evening and next morning.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:53 am

Bill n Robi wrote:

They do go fast on the disposable canisters as they don't fully use the remaining gas. We would save them and use inside the tent to dry them out. Most places don't like you to throw them out at camp grounds so we switched to the refillable 1 pound tank, just connect to the main tank and top it off in the afternoon so it is good for the evening and next morning.

Mine connects only to a bulk tank, maybe that's why I don't really notice.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 am

the "FLAME DANCER" firepit that E-trailer sells is probably one of the most fuel efficient one's being sold out there!! I did not buy mine for that reason - bought mine for it storage size being it is about 12/13 inches in diameter and fits inside a 14 inch Camp Chef DO bag for carrying. I had never used mine much for the first couple years I had it, but later all of the others I am camping with were complaining about how the firepit they had used so much fuel - than they all were telling me how I needed to get rid of the one I had and get the Flame Dancer brand one being it is the one that used hardly any fuel - ALREADY HAD IT !!! And YES it is very fuel efficient. I have gone over 3 nites (2 to 3 hours a nite) on my 2.5 gallon tank that I carry.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Cubbie0708 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:44 am

I got a Camp Chef Propane Campfire - 55,000 BTU max output, packed size is appx 15" X 7", came with 12 lbs of nice-sized lava rocks. I bought this particular brand only because I had REI dividend dollars to spend (REI does't sell it anymore). Sat in the garage for a while but we finally got to use it on our last (October) campout with the Land of Lincoln TearJerkers. It was rainy and cold all day Saturday. We were camping in a state park with a picnic pavilion and I tell you, if it wasn't for that propane campfire, it would have been a miserable weekend. We set it up and huddled around - warm enough to take the edge off and cheery. We went through the 20# tank we brought with us and then one of the group collected a dollar from everyone and took the tank in for an exchange at the local hardware store. Flame is adjustable - I think we kept it pretty low to conserve fuel as much as possible. Everything (except propane tank) stows into a nylon carry bag. Probably won't bring it on long road trips, but for weekend gatherings with an iffy weather forecast, definitely!

https://www.campchef.com/compact-fire-ring.html
Cubbie0708
Lifetime member

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:56 am

Socal Tom wrote:Little red campfire here too. Takes little space, easy to set, easy to use, no smoke. But no coals, so s’mores are hard to make with out burning. Kids don’t seem to mind. A round here they don’t like you to transport fire wood, and ground fires are usually forbidden, so you have to bring something anyhow.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same one. I replaced the fake logs with glass beads from Costco. It looks much better but is a bit heavier to move around.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 am

I haven't come across any mentions of Outland Firebowls yet. We have their Cypress model arriving from Amazon tomorrow, just in time for the maiden voyage with our Scotty. I was drawn to the Cypress because of the angled sides. Seems like that should help spread the heat better than the vertical sides that every other brand has. Its a bit larger than most 'portable' pits, at 21" across, but same BTU rating as others (adjustable to 58,000). I'll catch back up with a review after the weekend. Its going to be in the upper 20's at night, so its the perfect weekend to test it out.

I prefer an actual campfire, but this will be super convenient when we're getting into camp late and don't want to mess with having to build a fire, and also for warming up first thing in the morning. Oh, and of course those times when burn bans are in effect.

41tkox-ikVL.jpg
41tkox-ikVL.jpg (30.87 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Thu May 03, 2018 3:19 pm

the other advantage to the "Flame Dancer" firepit is that it DOES NOT use lava rocks which makes transporting it 'much' lighter in weight being it uses 'asbestos free' vermiculite that is totally contained when its cone shaped lid is re-installed that totally seals/encloses it all when transporting - and like I said earlier, it fits inside a 14 inch Camp Chef Dutch Oven storage/carry bag.
gudmund
500 Club

Return to Camping Secrets